• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How do voices start??

P

Purple butterfly

I've just been curious :/ if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it ......

Thanks xx

E

Eigau

Hi Purple butterfly, I initially noticed voices in 2011. But after much analysing I can see they have been with me from at least my teenage years, I am now 36. But I had never noticed them like I did in 2011 onward.

I was driving home when I heard the sound like hissing, then like radio static, then it became the sound of thousands of people. When it settled they were singing, a wave of euphoria came over me. To be honest, it was a powerful way for the voices to get noticed.

The circumstances at the time were, we had just sold the house we'd lived in for 20 years. It was a stressful move and I believe it tipped the scales so-to-speak of when one is able to notice the voices.

As for early teenagehood voice hearing, that was mainly musical, and I thought that everyone could hear music at will, so it was normal to me. I used it, to create some piano pieces, and still use it to review pieces I'm working on.

The music was never a difficult issue but when the hostile voices began in 2011 that was a whole other level of things and a huge learning curve.

So I think accumulated stress and unresolved trauma can create the circumstances needed for hostile voice hearing to occur. But it does seem to need something to ignite it.

Te

P

Purple butterfly

Hey thanks for that bit of an insight to me

Sorta explains what my pdoc said about the knocking on the door sound I've got going on ATM

That must of been a powerful way to notice the voices .....

Again thank you for taking the time to answer my question

V

Viktoria

I had a panic attack in 2013 and a voice started giving me short instructions. Initially she just told me not to speak to the paramedics that were present. She kept repeating 'be quiet'.

She grew out to become my best friend and I could communicate with her fully. She told me about dangers in this world and offered me access to her world if I would kill myself in a specific way.

Later on I realised it was all lies and with the help of medication she has gone completely. But she was a character with a name, age, identity and I knew what she looked like. So she had become a person to me.

Why do you ask? :)

P

Purple butterfly

I ask because for the longest time I had like sounds like all my thoughts rushing round my head all at once gets like that when I'm stressed but for the last few weeks there has been a sound like someone knocking on the front door and there is never anyone there and no one can hear it....just me.... My phychiatrist looked worried when I told him this information

V

Viktoria

I'm sorry that's been going on, it must be very frightening. Do you think that your psychiatrist thinks it could be the start of developing voices and that's why he looked worried?

P

Purple butterfly

I don't know my mum reckons it's the start of it all and my phychiatrist just sorta shrugged it off and told me not to worry bit I saw the look on his face :/

Kerome

Kerome

I was under a lot of stress, dealing with a long term physical injury, being made redundant at work, a house move, a lot of stuff from my childhood, and a spiritual crisis all at once. The apartment I ended up living in had slightly thin walls, I could just about hear things from the upstairs neighbours and neighbours to the side from time to time. So one day I started hearing them talking about me, and then I started hearing the same voices from my phone (when it was switched off).

That was the start of about three months of quite intense experiences, voices accompanied by a wide variety of other things. I wandered around at night in some towns, stayed in hotels away from home, all while hearing voices that would accuse me of destroying mankind.

Eventually I came to stay with my mother and stepfather, started taking medication, and things got more quiet. It took a while even on 4 mg of Risperidone.

V

Viktoria

I don't know my mum reckons it's the start of it all and my phychiatrist just sorta shrugged it off and told me not to worry bit I saw the look on his face :/
Maybe he wanted to give you reassurance that it's alright even though he's worried it will develop into something more serious.

I'm sorry you're going through this, I can imagine it being scary and worrying for you.

P

Purple butterfly

To be honest it's the least of my worries, got hoer stuff going on ATM and to be honest with myself it's probably been going on a long time just gotta deal with it if it becomes worse....but for now I can handle the thoughts swimming round and the knocking just really hoping it stays like that x

Thank you everyone for the replies x

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I hear voices occasionally. I'm lucky in a way that it's not constant and it's a sign for me that I am feeling really, really bad. I have one at the moment who is telling me to die, I gave into it the other day and since then he has stuck.

It's kind of like a sign for me. It's hard to explain at the moment as yeah....

P

Purple butterfly

I'm sorry your feeling so bad Marliee. It must be hard having him/her sticking round I am just trying not to let my current issue get to me x