• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do I talk to my therapist?

T

Trustifarian

I have had one session for my anxiety, which was concluded that I have mild anxiety which may not need treatment or therapy. I have a re evalution soon, just so she can check up on me. My issue is my anxiety is making it difficult to tell her what I really want to. I told her about some mild panic attacks and anxious thoughts and a breif history with self harm and eating disorders. I need to be able to tell her about the suicidal thoughts, fear to leave the house, numbness, severe panic attacks, constant self-harm. I know what I would want to say, but I know when I am face to face with her again I will laugh it off and say 'I'm fine'. I have gotten so used to having to hide it I don't know how to actually say it, and I begin to panic. I want to get better, I need to recover. All advice and tips would be extremely welcome. I am starting to lose sleep to my anxiety about this, I don't want to waste the opportunity.

pepecat

pepecat

You seem quite eloquent when you write - your post here sounds like you know what you want to say, it's just the actual 'saying' that is hard.
Maybe you could print your post out and give it to her - or write stuff down and give it to her, or read it out yourself? Then you won't be worrying about wanting to tell her stuff as you'll already have written it down, and either she can read it herself, or you can.

T

TomGhanini

Another vote for the write it down beforehand.

I can remember doing that for an evaluation. Helped clarify what I thought was wrong and what I didn't like about myself. The "I'm fine / pushing everything down inside" method does get you through the day by disconnecting you from the icky stuff. By writing things down you can get back in touch with, well with all the crap, which might not be a fun time but I think it is an important thing to do to help you make the most out of the re-evaluation. She can't help you if she doesn't know what's bothering you.

If you do do this I would suggest you also make a kinda check list like you did in your post: leaving the house, numbness, severe panic attacks etc... so if she takes your writings and says "but I want to hear it from you" and your mind goes blank, you've got this list all handy to remind you what you wrote. :)

Last edited:
ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Yes, i agree, from my own experience it is a good idea to write it down. I have done that on several occasions and just given it to them to read or sometimes i have been able to read it to them. Sometimes just the fact i have written it down enables me to say it. Hope it goes well

T

Trustifarian

Thank you, my appointment is on Tuesday, so I will definitely try this! x