• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do I stop thinking I’m pregnant

• Thread starter obsessivelypregnant
  • Start date
O

obsessivelypregnant

Hi, because of my OCD, I’ve been afraid of being pregnant since I became sexually active almost 8 years ago. There’s been periods of time where I’ve gone months without having sex and I still end up taking pregnancy tests. A few different times, I took a pregnancy test and stared at it for hours until I was convinced it was positive. Eventually taking pregnancy tests stopped easing the anxiety because even when they’re negative, I manage to convince myself that it’s a false negative. I get almost weekly panic attacks because I’m so afraid of it. I go to therapy, I take my birth control every single day, and I know deep within my core that I’m not pregnant, but I can’t get the thought out of my head no matter how hard I try. Does anyone have any advice on this?? I’m desperate

P

Purpleplum

Can you look at it as "what's the worst that could happen if I'm pregnant?

You would just deal with it, right? Maybe if you can see the worst that would happen and that you can manage that, then you'll feel more in control.

Just an idea.

Lugnut

Lugnut

Heya, have you ever considered a hysterectomy? That is a pretty much guarantee you would never get pregnant if you aren't ever wanting children - I believe there is a chance it can be surgically reversed but in general, it's considered the most permanent birth control

P

Purpleplum

Heya, have you ever considered a hysterectomy? That is a pretty much guarantee you would never get pregnant if you aren't ever wanting children - I believe there is a chance it can be surgically reversed but in general, it's considered the most permanent birth control
That's a bit drastic and invasive especially if she's young.

Lugnut

Lugnut

That's a bit drastic and invasive especially if she's young.
Well we don't know her circumstances so it was really only a suggestion. Not necessarily drastic at all and she may not have known it's an option.

P

Purpleplum

Well we don't know her circumstances so it was really only a suggestion. Not necessarily drastic at all and she may not have known it's an option.
I'm sorry but removing body parts is drastic. And no, it cannot be reversed. When you take a woman's uterus out, it's gone for good. We don't have spares lying around. It also will push you into early menopause which brings with it all sorts of fun problems.

I'm guessing you're not female.