• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How do I stop these nightmares and sleep well again

F

Fragile

Hi guys,
I have been diagnosted with a trauma from bullying (not PTSD, but it's similar, a "soft" version of it so I'll post it here).
For like half a year I have been having the following issues:
When I am trying to sleep, I wake up every hour and I keep having the same nightmares every time. I always dream about how I am in school again and how I meet my bullies, which are quite a lot. Sometimes I am remembered of bullies I don't even think about, which causes new unpleasent memories. I am at a point where I don't even want to sleep anymore, I keep seeing these people every time I fall asleep.

Is there a way to stop these damn nightmares? It's driving me really crazy. All I want is having a peaceful life and relaxing sleep. Also, why do I keep waking up every hour?

Thank you for your answers.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Hi guys,
I have been diagnosted with a trauma from bullying (not PTSD, but it's similar, a "soft" version of it so I'll post it here).
For like half a year I have been having the following issues:
When I am trying to sleep, I wake up every hour and I keep having the same nightmares every time. I always dream about how I am in school again and how I meet my bullies, which are quite a lot. Sometimes I am remembered of bullies I don't even think about, which causes new unpleasent memories. I am at a point where I don't even want to sleep anymore, I keep seeing these people every time I fall asleep.

Is there a way to stop these damn nightmares? It's driving me really crazy. All I want is having a peaceful life and relaxing sleep. Also, why do I keep waking up every hour?

Thank you for your answers.
You need to 'air' your memories out in therapy so they don't have the power to cause you nightmares anymore. If you're remembering things in dreams that you don't remember while conscious that means there are suppressed memories that are coming back to bother you.

Find a good therapist and discuss this in detail. It's like lancing a boil, you have to get the bad stuff out in the open to feel better. Once you discuss it openly, you can deal with it more easily. Put it in perspective. Then maybe the nightmares will stop?

Kavaris_Valiant_One

Kavaris_Valiant_One

The more you create a routine- hours before bed- dedicated to sleeping and things to dream about, the more control your character in your sleep has.
The more control means the more likely you will shape the dream positively, instead of getting so lost that your external perceptions derive fear out of even the insignificant features of the mind.

Tonight, or tomorrow night, try re-creating a story
that you can tell yourself. Something that you are interested in and can build off of or give you ideas.
Your thoughts are your land, just like a farm is a farmers land to grow crops on, except you wanna grow dreams. When you sleep on the night, notice how your mind will wonder from thought to thought. It will have been an amalgamation of those thoughts that spiral in toward the actual dream you feel like you're in. Those thoughts leading up to that- are the most essential ones for a good dream.

H

HisWife

The medication Prazosin has been a life saver for me with nightmares due to PTSD.