How do I stop eating?

B

BPB1984

I've been overweight most of my life and have been suffering from depression for about 15 years. I don't drink or do drugs, these have never been my vices...my vice is food. Eating is the only thing that makes me feel better and I also comfort eat to punish myself.

I August 2018 I had a depression free period and I managed to lose 5 stone and I am now the lightest I have ever been as an adult. But my depression came back the day after Christmas and the bad eating has been there ever since. I fight with myself every day to avoid eating junk but more often than not I lose, I'm fighting with myself right now and I know I'm going to lose again. I'm still exercising which is slightly counter-acting the eating but you can't out-train an bad diet and the weight is going back on.

I don't know how to stop eating, I literally cannot control it and I can't stop comfort / punish eating.

How do I stop?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Are you on any meds cos they can increase your appetite . I put on 3 stone With olanzipine. Try and buy healthy snacks , cut up carrot sticks and leave in the fridge also celery is good to nibble on even if you put some low fat cream cheese on it. You have my sympathy I’ve struggled to lose 2 stone and still want the crisps and cakes 🍰

B

BPB1984

Are you on any meds cos they can increase your appetite . I put on 3 stone With olanzipine. Try and buy healthy snacks , cut up carrot sticks and leave in the fridge also celery is good to nibble on even if you put some low fat cream cheese on it. You have my sympathy I’ve struggled to lose 2 stone and still want the crisps and cakes 🍰
No, I'm not on any meds. It's not a case of me being hungry and satisfying the hunger with bad meals. It's a case of seeking out bad food, regardless of hunger, to either make me feel better or punish myself...so I could (and do) eat healthy meals and snacks but that doesn't comfort or punish me so that's why I seek the bad food.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Have you had emotional problems in your past and food was a comfort to you, I’m only saying this cos my daughter is overweight but due to abuse in her childhood she started to eat cakes and biscuits in secret to stop herself crying. When we found out she was 11 back in the early 90s and no one seemed interested in helping her. The doc said she was too young to put on a diet. She then became morbidly obese
If your not on meds are you under a gp or P/doc either way go and see them and explain what is happening because you need help.Something is obviously troubling you and maybe some talking therapy may help. My daughter eventually got the help she needed and now has her eating under control. It’s still a struggle for her if she gets upset but she has managed to lose over three stone,.

B

BPB1984

Have you had emotional problems in your past and food was a comfort to you, I’m only saying this cos my daughter is overweight but due to abuse in her childhood she started to eat cakes and biscuits in secret to stop herself crying. When we found out she was 11 back in the early 90s and no one seemed interested in helping her. The doc said she was too young to put on a diet. She then became morbidly obese
If your not on meds are you under a gp or P/doc either way go and see them and explain what is happening because you need help.Something is obviously troubling you and maybe some talking therapy may help. My daughter eventually got the help she needed and now has her eating under control. It’s still a struggle for her if she gets upset but she has managed to lose over three stone,.
I've had all sorts of treatment for depression including counselling which didn't help. Food has always been my comfort, it literally makes me feel better when nothing else does. I've been over weight most of my life and losing the 5 stone got me to a healthy weight (according to BMI) but depression makes me punish myself, I'm type 1 diabetic as well so I guess it's a form of self harm. I can't stop eating crap right now...if I win a mental battle with myself over a craving a feel like absolute crap but if I give into the craving then I feel better, but guilty. Sometimes I think it would just be simpler if I wasn't here.