How do I stop being unsatisfied

J

joe12

I have a good life, I am smart, I can be funny, I'm not bad looking, and I have a social group. But I have a really hard time being satisfied with myself. And I think its really unhealthy, because I regret how I said things, or I acted or how I did this, when on the outside I think I dont come off as awkward. I am always seeing things in a perfectionist type of way, like it will get better overtime or, I need to work about this things bout myself or even, Im gonna read books to sound smarter. I know a lot of this comes because I probably care too much about what everyone else thinks. But I just feel so lonely inside and people probably don't notice.
I wish I could relive the past three years of my life the same way they acted out but realizing that it was okay all the time.

I've been seeing a therapist for my anxiety and and depression for about a month and a half and she's very nice and what she says makes sense but I feel like there is no progress.
Ive also been meditating somewhat consistently and feel like its the last thing I have to relax my troubled mind.

J

johnram

If its any solace, what helped me in a similar manner, was realising that people dont notice as much as you think they do, and they dont care as much as you may feel they do....people are generally quite self involved....

by that i mean, it helps seperate out the challenges to yourself about how you act, as its liekly only you that notices or cares as much.

not sure if that helps, but its been a realisation for me

I wish you well

J

joe12

Also, acceptance is key.
Do you know how to reach that level of acceptance? I really want to be able to be in total connection with myself without trying to be someone I'm not. And honestly that would be heaven for me because even if I was to realize I am a nerdy geek or a cool confident guy it would be fine and I wouldnt feel the need to change.

J

johnram

my own experience has been not to accept myself, but taking a big step back and seeing what my own priorities are, has helped me appreciate myself more in context of others and myself

Acceptance takes time, read others experiences on this forum