• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

How do I start living after 20+ years of psych drugs?

E

Eliz1970

Hopefully this isn't in the wrong section.

I am lost! I was on psych drugs for over 20 years. I realized they were going to literally be the death of me so I got off over 2 years ago. Docs continued to see my symptoms of kindling as mental illness and continued upping my doses and adding more drugs, until I was taking seven.

I went through hell to get off and still have symptoms related to the damage they did to my CNS, but now I need to live.

Unfortunately, I feel I am a little kid, or that someone cut off my legs and pushed my out into the world and said, "OK, go." With no support.

I'm currently looking for a therapist who understands and doesn't automatically suggest I take meds again, plus I live in Norway but don't speak Norwegian, so my options are limited.

I don't want to go to forums like benzo buddies because I have come across a lot of people who have ideas that are way out there and controversial. Actually, that site may have done more harm than good while I was in acute withdrawal!

So is there anyone here who has gone through the same thing?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
So is there anyone here who has gone through the same thing?
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

i've been medicated, sometimes very heavily for 27 years. i managed to get to a low dose of one medication but Not been able to stop it successfully. In the past i stopped all medication 5 times, with varying results.

Within my own experience our current society / culture is predominantly set up & focused on the biomedical / pharmacological paradigm, & it is very difficult to impossible to access genuine alternatives to that which are appropriate to our needs & comprehensive. i've Not been able to find it.

i don't know what to specifically suggest? Other than a Global fringe contingent of a minority collection of various people & projects, there isn't any viable alternatives that can be easily accessed.

letmein

letmein

I'm still on meds and have been solid for ten years plus now...

can't ever see atime when i can come off them, last time i tried i was in a mess after just three weeks.

good luck :)

E

Eliz1970

This is the reason so many people stay on. And if you get on, then off, and on again, it causes kindling, which makes a person feel worse than before even starting a med.

It's a horrible cycle. The only reason I was able to do it was because I knew for a fact I was going to die if I stayed on, and I have kids so that couldn't be an option for me.

It sucks seeing the damage my behaviour did to them now. I really want to rectify it somehow but I'm not sure what to do.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
This is the reason so many people stay on. And if you get on, then off, and on again, it causes kindling, which makes a person feel worse than before even starting a med.

It's a horrible cycle. The only reason I was able to do it was because I knew for a fact I was going to die if I stayed on, and I have kids so that couldn't be an option for me.

It sucks seeing the damage my behaviour did to them now. I really want to rectify it somehow but I'm not sure what to do.
The current society / system is largely very wrong around all these areas (imo).

But it's the realities of it all & i don't know how to change it all?

i think that mental health & it's proper treatment is the last largely unacknowledged major civil / human rights issue. As long as the current system is dominated by the biomedical / materialist / pharmacological paradigm - it won't fundamentally change.

i don't know what to specifically suggest for you? Seems to me to be a fucked up World & that's all there is to it - it will take Aeons to sort out all the mess.

Last edited:
E

Eliz1970

True. 8m also surprised and disheartened by the ignorance around psych drugs among those in the medical community.

It's as if, once you say you were on them, anything else you say is automatically discounted immediately. As if that label remains forever and is a stigmata, yet diseases or disorders of the brain--the part of the body that controls EVERY aspect of our being--aren't "real" to them.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
True. 8m also surprised and disheartened by the ignorance around psych drugs among those in the medical community.

It's as if, once you say you were on them, anything else you say is automatically discounted immediately. As if that label remains forever and is a stigmata, yet diseases or disorders of the brain--the part of the body that controls EVERY aspect of our being--aren't "real" to them.
i don't really fully understand why it's all the ways it is, Never have done.

i don't think that 'we'll' get anywhere trying to get any genuine validation, acknowledgement & help from the current general / mainstream society & the system.

Pretty much the most progress i've made has primarily come from myself - i am now predominantly focused on my own path, learning, healing & have become my own therapist & healer.

Sorry - But Fuck this society / system & what is has done & is doing.

E

Eliz1970

Sorry - But Fuck this society / system & what is has done & is doing.

Exactly.