• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

how do I play my part?

L

lipase

My sister is being weird I don't know what to do about it. I feel more and more like I've never really known her and only occasionally like I understand her way of thinking. I feel like I've distanced myself from her and my immediate family (Uncles and cousins etc have never been that close). I never know what to think, I've always just kept quiet so as not to say something wrong that would cause my sister to 'go over the edge' and tried to be sympathetic when stuff's going wrong in my family. She seems to think alot of thoughts compared to me I just sit here with no thoughts, just a feeling of 'I want to get away'.

I really really hope she doesn't read this; I wasn't going to put much specific just incase she found this on the internet somehow. But I'm going to say some of what she's done recently anyway because I'm really confused. Then I'm going to delete this thread

She suffers from something like schizophrenia but she shouldn't do, she just had a hard time at uni and it got TOO hard and she was pushed over the edge by the situation was in. She's on anti-psychotics.

Recently the insurance company she works for had it's name changed and she thinks the new name is too 'negative' (it's called 'accidents happen'). I don't consider the new name negative I just view it as a joke like I do with everything.

But she's really got herself hung up about it and came home a couple of days after it was changed saying she'd been told by her work she could come home and think about what she wants to do. At which point I knew she was thinking about an ultimatum (i.e. telling her work that unless the name of the company changes then she's quitting).

Then she was sent home the next day for refusing to say the name I think (because in her position she has to say the company name over the phone and presumably in e-mail etc). That night, I think it was that night, she came to the top of the stairs at 1 in the morning with a huge rucksack on that is normally in the cupboard under the stairs and filled with juggling things like clubs, balls, scarves etc and she was just acting really weird. I slept about 3 hours that night and she says she didn't sleep at all that night. Other weird stuff happened in the morning, mixed in with some 'semi-weird' stuff for example she said she was going off to a farm in the morning with a bag of clothes at 6.30 so I went with her, I didn't want to stop her incase it stressed her out and we ended up going to a town about 5 miles away to get some credit for her phone then came back without going to this farm she vaguely mentioned.

She went to work again that day and I sent her a text saying I'd be really angry with her if she quit her job over something like this. Later on she talked to her 'nurse' who comes round to talk to her sometimes and to help her deal with stuff I guess. She's taking some time off work now but I just don'tunderstand how her mind works. Her and my mum seem to wory about things a lot but I just ignore things and procrastinate instead. We're like the complete opposite I think

I don't know what to do but I guess you don't know enough about me and her and the situation to know what I should do. I don't know why I'm posting this really, sorry if I've just wasted your time

Last edited:
L

lipase

anyone know how to delete their own threads?
I didn't think this through fully!

iffybob

iffybob

Send a private message to the moderator *Sapphire* and request it be deleted ...

L

lipase

thanks iffybob,
I've done what you suggested...

M

maudikie

To lipase.

It sounds as though your sister needs some professional help. You speak of a nurse, so I immagine she is in contact with the Mental health Services. Are you able to talk to the nurse youself, and tell him/her how worried you are and don't know how to cope.?
If the nurse is unavailable I should talk to your G.P. and ask to be put into contact with a support group. There may be one near you. Perhaps there would also be a support group for your sister.
It is very hard work being a carer, especially so of mental ilness which tends to bring stigma, and often people wrongly blame famlies for the illness.
DO GET SOME PROFESSIONAL HELP. In my opinion this is the best thing for both you and your sister.
Take care,:)

Last edited:
L

lipase

Hi Maudikie,
Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply; I am avoiding a lot of things at the moment and for some reason, avoiding replying to your post was one of them. I did actually get the chance to tell the nurse that I'm not doing great, but I didn't talk to her further about it. I 'applied' for counselling quite a while ago (probably about 2-3 months ago) and I was given a phone call a week or two ago saying that it's likely to be some time in June that there may be a free slot. To be honest at the minute I'm in bad condition but I can't do anything about it and I feel like such an idiot.
Thanks for your reply