• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

How do I make myself do things when I’m too tired to do them because of depression

Faith198

Faith198

Also want to add don’t make yourself do big tasks at first or take on a whole list of them at once, because it can overwhelm you. Just start small

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Please if someone suffered like this and recovered please answer. Is it from chronc sleep deprivation? I did a mri scan to my brain and everything is fine.
Hi Blackrose

I wasn’t sure what you meant by body blocking? Depression has rendered me almost catatonic at times. I feel I can’t move or it physically hurts to move...is that what you mean? X

B

Blackrose09

Hi Blackrose

I wasn’t sure what you meant by body blocking? Depression has rendered me almost catatonic at times. I feel I can’t move or it physically hurts to move...is that what you mean? X
It looks simetimes like caratonia, but mostly i have a problem with muscles strenghts when this happens. Like i cant hold something in my hand, cant stand on a chair..my body simply drops like dead and i can only lay in bed. The doctor said it is psychiatric..i kind of doubt what he said is true.

B

Blackrose09

Ooops.... im sorry if this is disturbing. i sholdnt be posting

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
It looks simetimes like caratonia, but mostly i have a problem with muscles strenghts when this happens. Like i cant hold something in my hand, cant stand on a chair..my body simply drops like dead and i can only lay in bed. The doctor said it is psychiatric..i kind of doubt what he said is true.
Yes, I’ve experienced this.

It sounds as if you are very low at the moment. :hug: I’ve learnt to grade my symptoms like the number of floors in an elevator. For me, what you’re describing would indicate my mood hitting the basement and heading for the underground car park.

Yes, it is usually symptomatic of depression. Many of the antidepressant medications alleviate these symptoms by helping your nerve cell networks to communicate. All these strange sensations of weakness are just because your nervous system is not receiving commands properly.

I would explain to your doctor how much this is affecting you. How we treat our depression is down to personal choice but if I was back in this level of suffering, I would be seeking appropriate meds.

Please use this forum for support. There’s always someone to talk to :hug:

B

Blackrose09

Yes, I’ve experienced this.

It sounds as if you are very low at the moment. :hug: I’ve learnt to grade my symptoms like the number of floors in an elevator. For me, what you’re describing would indicate my mood hitting the basement and heading for the underground car park.

Yes, it is usually symptomatic of depression. Many of the antidepressant medications alleviate these symptoms by helping your nerve cell networks to communicate. All these strange sensations of weakness are just because your nervous system is not receiving commands properly.

I would explain to your doctor how much this is affecting you. How we treat our depression is down to personal choice but if I was back in this level of suffering, I would be seeking appropriate meds.

Please use this forum for support. There’s always someone to talk to :hug:
Thank you so much, im less worried about this symptom now. Yes, i noticed antidepressants help but i had to quit one of then (because of allergy) and thats why this problem comed back.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Thank you so much, im less worried about this symptom now. Yes, i noticed antidepressants help but i had to quit one of then (because of allergy) and thats why this problem comed back.
Have a chat with your doctor. There’s lots of different meds available.

Meantime, try some very gentle, slow stretching movements. Have a google for physiotherapists on YouTube and pick up some recommended stretches that will remove tension in your limbs. It really helps. When we’re depressed, we hold ourselves differently..hunched shoulders, crossed arms, drawn up knees...all the defensive positions because we feel wounded. This affects how our body works and we get aches, pains and jumping nerves. Try and notice how you’re sitting and correct it when you can. For an instant mood boost, stand up nice and straight and hold your arms open wide to the side. Physiology works both ways - if you put your body in a confident stance, it tricks your brain to feel that way. The body curls up in fear so when we get in the habit of sitting that way, it increases our feelings of powerlessness.

I hope you have a better day today and sending you lots of love xxx

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Depression Forum 5
R Depression Forum 2
E Depression Forum 9
S Depression Forum 22
J Depression Forum 13