• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do i get better?

Aevar

Aevar

For over a year now i've had depression on and off, it started in like June of last year when i had really bad depression for about 2 weeks non stop and ever since then i've been getting depressed on and off. Sometimes i can be depressed from anywhere between like an hour to a few days at a time, other time totally fine and sometimes i get really happy too which is awesome, but when my moods change, it's always really quick. I was incredibly happy all this weekend, i don't know why but i was and it was awesome. Then, about an hour or so after turning up at school today i was depressed and it lasted until a few hours after i got home, even as i type this i still feel a bit down and have been snapping at everyone all day for just speaking to me. (Wrote this yesterday by the way, at the moment i still feel a bit upset but it has been coming and going all day)

Most of the time i'm not quite sure why i get depressed, sometimes there is no reason that i can identify, other times i get depressed over things that have happened to me years in the past and other times over recent things that really don't matter that much. I hate myself all the more for it because i know there are people who have things way worse than me and are homeless and things like that.The same thing goes for when i'm really happy, like this weekend for example, i don't know why i get really happy sometimes. I also get this with anger too, sometimes i get this really massive rage where i start breathing loudly like i'm out of breath and wanna destroy everything around me. I also get angry over things that don't matter when i look back or that have happened to me years ago.

Is there a way to get rid of depression on your own, like without medication or a psychiatrist? I don't wanna see a psychiatrist because then everyone will know, and to be honest, i don't know how simply talking to someone could help me.

M

matt

Try keeping busy mentally and physically. I found working out relieved my anger and I felt better after a workout. Also try getting with people you enjoy being with and have fun with. You sound like you are dysythmic, I suggest you search it and read about it. For me I finally gave in battling it by myself and went to my regular doctor on a regular basis. Between working out, staying active( which can be a challange to make yourself stay active) and medication I got my depression under control. Do not let anyone tell you there is no such thing as depression. You may want to find other people who have been depressed and talk with them.....they understand what you are going thru!

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Is there a way to get rid of depression on your own, like without medication or a psychiatrist? I don't wanna see a psychiatrist because then everyone will know, and to be honest, i don't know how simply talking to someone could help me.[/QUOTE]

I think depression is very difficult to get rid of on your own and to be honest it is often a case of amangement first recovery second. Talking can help be putting things that are bothering and understanding the situations that make you feel depressed and learning how to manage and cope with them better?

I was very 'anti' talking about 6 months ago but I can see its benefits and it really can help. Often a sign of depression is not wanting to talk and feeling guilty or bad about the things you feel.

Intel
xx

M

matt

I agree, I have never actually been to talk therapy but I am lucky enough to have several friends with depression too.... we can instantly spot when one of the other ones is suffering and we have a talk.... usually talks last for up to a week at break time and lunch time . we are very open and talk about triggers and meds etc.... I do recommend talk therapy to anyone who is suffering depression. I also find that meds and love have helped me the most.
Meds do have their side effects and draw backs.... but when you need help they can help to some extent....and sometimes it is that little bit of help that gets you up and going in the right direction. I have been on and off meds for several years and also have tried several. I have found a good one and I am glad it is there for me.
I am not sure there is trully a cure for depression, and I am not saying there is no cure either..... I am saying there are ways to control it and the effects it has on your life.
If you lack interest in life, you can't smile, you never seem happy, you are loosing or gaining wieght, you sleep to much or to little , you stay at home and do nothing ....seek help.... do not be embarressed! Depression is a clinical disease and can lead to very serious complications.....
Thousands of people are cured of depression every year without help....they commit suicide.... it can be fatal.

D

Dollit

The sudden change of the moods makes me wonder if this is simply depression. If you go to your GP to talk they'll help and if you see a psych no one need know.

M

matt

I have mood swings during mild depression.... kinda a sparkle then fade thing....can happen several times a day. When I was major depressed I lost 28 pounds and really had no mood at all....I was just there taking up space. I agree you may want to seek help and have this diagnosed further..... I have been told that depression can be very diff in what it does to people and how people react to it . You saying that you are really happy at times make me wonder about this....same with the anger
Can you identify what triggers your mood swings?

A

Apotheosis

Is there a way to get rid of depression on your own, like without medication or a psychiatrist? I don't wanna see a psychiatrist because then everyone will know, and to be honest, i don't know how simply talking to someone could help me.
It is a subject I have researched at depth for many years - albeit form a lay man's perspective. Yes people can & do recover med free from even the most severe of mental illness. Here are a few links.

http://theicarusproject.net/alterna...duction-guide-to-coming-off-psychiatric-drugs

http://www.welcomeworld.org/iHome.htm

http://www.comingoff.com/

http://spiritualemergency.blogspot.com/

http://www.breggin.com/

http://www.theroadback.org/

http://ronandkarens.blogspot.com/

http://bipolarblast.wordpress.com/2008/07/04/what-is-your-survivor-mission/

S

sylar

For over a year now i've had depression on and off, it started in like June of last year when i had really bad depression for about 2 weeks non stop and ever since then i've been getting depressed on and off. Sometimes i can be depressed from anywhere between like an hour to a few days at a time, other time totally fine and sometimes i get really happy too which is awesome, but when my moods change, it's always really quick. I was incredibly happy all this weekend, i don't know why but i was and it was awesome. Then, about an hour or so after turning up at school today i was depressed and it lasted until a few hours after i got home, even as i type this i still feel a bit down and have been snapping at everyone all day for just speaking to me. (Wrote this yesterday by the way, at the moment i still feel a bit upset but it has been coming and going all day)

Most of the time i'm not quite sure why i get depressed, sometimes there is no reason that i can identify, other times i get depressed over things that have happened to me years in the past and other times over recent things that really don't matter that much. I hate myself all the more for it because i know there are people who have things way worse than me and are homeless and things like that.The same thing goes for when i'm really happy, like this weekend for example, i don't know why i get really happy sometimes. I also get this with anger too, sometimes i get this really massive rage where i start breathing loudly like i'm out of breath and wanna destroy everything around me. I also get angry over things that don't matter when i look back or that have happened to me years ago.

It sounds very similar to what i went through as a teenager. A huge dose of hormones taking over my body trying to find their place and being angry at the past. I have suffered from depression for the past 6 years or so and i have only just found the cause, Rejection and Critisism. Find the cause and work out the solution. My depression has come and gone over the years and has taken alot with it along the way, everyday i fight it with all that i am worth. I have never taken medication even though it has been extremely bad at times. The best of luck you, it looks like you have come to the right place for advice, its taken me 6 years to find it :clap: