• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How do I externally feel for someone?

UnstableSolace

UnstableSolace

I honestly don't know how to word this and I want to focus only on the title, so it might come off as confusing and incomplete.

Whenever there's someone who's upset or going through a rough time, I'm just unable to help them. (I do feel bad for them internally and I REALLY feel bad if it's something similar to my level of abuse/neglect experience.) But like, I just act weird. I cannot really say anything in the situation apart from feeling awkward and terrible, this even happens when I'm not devaluing and with people I dearly love. I am concerned and worried about them, I just cannot express that to them, so I look pretty unemotional.

When it comes to love, (familial, friendships, partners) I struggle with the communication as well. I struggle with talking extendedly about most things, with replies such as "You're welcome, if you need any more help again, you can just ask me. c:" so I'm pretty distant in my conversations (even if I don't mean or want to be, me saying something like that just doesn't seem right so I just cannot talk as nice as they can). I also severely struggle with intimacy, so perhaps the severity or fear of getting close is a part of it as well, ironic.

My upbringing was extremely ambivalent and turbulent and I was never truly loved and wasn't allowed to speak to people as a child, so I have kind of grown up with that habit and I guess that's why I just cannot communicate well like this because I wasn't even given the chance, I don't know but I want to be healthier...

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I can relate to your post. It can be very difficult to find the right words when we were always forced to keep quiet. If you were unable to express your feelings as a child then it makes sense you struggle to do that now. I have researched into having an emotionally distant mother (as mine was) and learned we grow up struggling to word things and communicate. It is lovely you wish to help the people in your life and I am sorry you feel bad you are unable to. If you cannot help in words then you can help by listening. There is a lot of comfort in having somebody listen too.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Bpd outburst last night really bad and now I feel terrible Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 26
V I feel like it is now or never.. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
M Feel sad.tormtented.worried Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
M Feel so stuck Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
Fairy Lucretia feel wrong Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 20
AvadaKedavra15 Just diagnosed, feel so alone Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 15
P I feel like no one understands. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
D Feel so paranoid can't switch my mind off Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
D i feel suicidal Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 28
D Feel so anxious everyday Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
C Feel like it’s all or nothing Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
S Feel so lonely Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
Fairy Lucretia don't feel well Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
C Should I keep my distance from people I care about until I feel more stable? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
F I feel like a drug addict going through withdrawal. I am addicted to manic states. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 12
P I feel like I have no one to talk to. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 16
G do you ever feel worse by trying to talk about your problems Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
B Feel like my gf is been manipulative Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 14
EarthChild Feel like self harming so bad... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
V When it doesn't feel so ''temporary'' afterall Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 25
C Disappearing and ghosting people when you feel abandoned Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
Fairy Lucretia do you ever feel not wanted here? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
B Dont know how i feel Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
Fairy Lucretia feel erally ill Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
Fairy Lucretia feel like taking an overdose Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 22
Delilah67 Feel hysterical and can’t deal with pain Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
Fairy Lucretia feel so unbelievabley low Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
IvyandJade Does Anyone Else Feel This Way Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 15
L I feel unwanted and hated by everyone Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
U Easy to make a BPD feel worthless? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
Fairy Lucretia feel like no one understands Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
Justafriend95 I feel sick Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
S I'm taking a vow of silence (I feel ashamed of myself) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
wraziel I feel stable. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
N Utterly useless and feel used! Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
D I haven't slept all night and I feel really anxious, is anyone there? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
S I feel so strange (I want to end it) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
P I don't feel like myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
LittleMissNameless I feel fan-freaking-tastic Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 0
P Does anyone else feel like they aren't taken seriously? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
L Self harm attempt triggered by boyfriend being friends with his ex, feel suicidal Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
wraziel I need feel frustration. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
Sadbutgettingbetter feel like i can't stand myself right now Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
Connorisnotokay Being drunk is the only time I feel something Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 14
R Relationship ended - feel depressed and confused Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 14
Connorisnotokay I feel like my brain has taken a step back Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
S Just had 2 outbursts at an office and keyworker( not my nice keyworker a different one) and someone at the office she works in. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
I I really need someone to calm me down. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
L Can someone have quiet BPD, but it doesnt show up in the relationship until something traumatic occurs? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
U How do you react when someone pulling away Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8