• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

how do i explain?

R

riverofdragons

my housemate thinks this forum is contributing to me being suicidal. how do i explain that its helping me stay alive.

he says ther is a correlation between me going on here and my suicidal thoughts, but he doesnt listen when i tell him its the other way around.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
It's maybe not something he can understand, or is prepared to. I know I have had some comments about the time I spend on the forum, but I am sure that it has helped me a huge amount. It is so comforting - in an odd sort of way! - that there are others online who really understand what depression means and feels like. So I would say, if you think it helps rather than hinders you, then carry on!

Take care.
Rollinat

D

Dollit

Unless he's suffered from depression in the way that you have or has a qualification in the mental health field then anything he says is an opinion and not an experience.

I have been on here and been suicidal and it's been stressful at times but knowing that people were here for me was incredibly healing.

R

riverofdragons

he actually has cyclothymic depression and not been able to work for 6 yrs...but he can be quite hypocritical at times. I do find this forum very helpful and informative. I value the support and interaction with people who understand how i feel...but he is bad at seeking help and happy to waste away days in front of the computer. Maybe I should try harder to get him to use the forum to help himself.

i think he is angry at me for feeling sucidal, but it's not on purpose. he got quite angry earlier when i suddely burst into tears and he found me on the kitchen floor with a carving knife. I understand that anger i guess...but dont think he understands the pain i am in.

Jo1760

Jo1760

I hope you begin to feel a little better soon, feeling like that is terrible.
Its important to get support when you feel unwell and if your housemate is not able to do so, it may just be in his general personality, then coming on here will hopefully help.

It may be becasue he does not use the forum that he doesn't understand the benifits of being able to open up to a group who are not within the home situation and dont know each other. I imagine a lot of people vent ideas and feelings on here they wouldn't dare tell a friend.

Take care and I hope you manage to show them how helpful the forum can be.

Keep posting.

X

M

mat70x

Hi

:rolleyes:I know what you mean I go on to pro anorexia sites, not because im anorexic, just that the girls on there understand and we are all there trying to deal with our issues.

O

olan

just don't mind him whoever is he. just explain it to him once more and show him that you're getting better because of this.