• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How do I cope with loss

N

Nelle_joy97

My grandpa passed away just 2 days ago, and it's very hard to go on through the day. I was never really close with my grandpa and I felt distant from him throughout my whole life. I felt like I resented him for so long because he was difficult to talk to and connect with. I feel full of regret now, because I feel like I wasn't the granddaughter he deserved... I just feel alone and I don't know how to cope with this loss. I don't really feel like turning to anyone, because when I do I just don't feel truly comforted. I just feel empty and I don't want to do anything. I don't know what to do. I don't like how I have to pretend like I'm okay on the outside... I hate how I have to sit in class and act like everything is okay. Even though I wasn't close to my grandpa, I loved him very much. I feel like I neglected him and it's hard to accept I'll never see or hear from him again.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
I'm so very sorry for your loss, I was 14 when my grandad died. It's such a shock when we lose somebody we love.
Try to talk to your parents, your a child and you did your best, you didn't neglect him.
Have you got any friends that can support you?
Time is a healer, things will get easier.
I'm here to listen.
Take care

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

When you say you weren't the granddaughter he deserved and that you neglected him, I think you are being too harsh on yourself. As the adult, he is the one who should have been easier to communicate with. He was the adult. He defined your relationship.

It's hard for you because you would have preferred a more close relationship. But that wasn't the reality. So you have to accept the reality and that's what is hard for you. Suddenly he's gone and all possibility of making more of the relationship is out the window. Again, he was the adult and was responsible for how things were. It was not your fault.

N

Nelle_joy97

Thank you for your kind words and support! I find that turning to my dad is helping me cope a little bit easier. As for my friends, I've only told a couple. I feel like they are trying their best, but I don't think they know how to comfort me or what to say, which is understandable. I know time heals all wounds, so I'm trying my best to get through this.

N

Nelle_joy97

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. The fact that he's gone truly breaks my heart because I guess a part of me wanted a better relationship with him and knowing I never will just hurts. I know that I shouldn't put myself down in this situation, so I'm going to try my best not to.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Miserable How do you cope with the loss? Depression Forum 6
J How do you cope with loss of interest? Depression Forum 6
F Suicidal boyfriend, at a loss for how to cope, help? Depression Forum 3
C Struggling to cope Depression Forum 13
sunset547544 Can't Cope Anymore Depression Forum 4
Icarus79 Unable to cope with the threat of love lost. Depression Forum 17
Wheelie Bin Barry If Your Struggling, If You Cant Cope, If You Cant Hold On, This Is For You. Depression Forum 10
R How do you cope with major depression Depression Forum 1
P How to Cope With Constant Loneliness Depression Forum 6
F Struggling to cope with fiancés depression Depression Forum 17
U I can’t cope anymore. Depression Forum 13
Carol1952 How to you manage or cope with your depression? Depression Forum 1
J Mentally destroyed... can’t cope with anything anymore Depression Forum 8
P How to Cope when You feel like You've Lost Everything. Depression Forum 2
Y not sure how too cope Depression Forum 8
M Any ideas how to cope with a Depressive/stressful life? Depression Forum 3
PurpleDaffodils Guy ive been seeing for a year tells me we were never dating... Cant cope. Depression Forum 7
Tawny How will i cope living with my mum again? Depression Forum 9
wollie How do you guys cope Depression Forum 6
L I cant cope anymore Depression Forum 5
S How do you cope with Weather change influencing your mental state ? Depression Forum 23
I cant cope with alcoholic Depression Forum 4
S How to cope at work? Depression Forum 5
B I'm fine - but I constantly feel like I can't cope being alive anymore. Depression Forum 10
M How do I cope with being alone? Depression Forum 11
T How to cope with social isolation? Depression Forum 3
P Dont feel like i can cope anymore Depression Forum 2
G How to cope with a move Depression Forum 2
J I can't cope with all my feelings? Depression Forum 3
L Finding it difficult to cope and be around people Depression Forum 10
D Do I have depression? I feel like I can't cope at the moment Depression Forum 1
Emptycomfort Want out I can’t cope Depression Forum 2
C I am so stressed right now, I feel like I cant cope anymore Depression Forum 2
P When you just can’t cope Depression Forum 3
B Fiancee leaving me and I cant cope. Depression Forum 3
N how to cope? Depression Forum 4
S I can only cope with one university class each day Depression Forum 3
S How do I cope? Depression Forum 4
L Struggling to cope with husband's depression Depression Forum 3
A Desperate for advice on how to cope with depression Depression Forum 7
W Parents made me study something I hate and I can't cope anymore Depression Forum 7
L I'm struggling to cope. Depression Forum 6
M My depressed boyfriend left me, help me cope please Depression Forum 6
O Depression & relationships. How to cope? Depression Forum 1
whyme88 Looking for advice on how to cope... Depression Forum 2
I cant cope with this no one seems to understand Depression Forum 5
J My depression is to much to cope Depression Forum 7
E Struggling to cope Depression Forum 3
L I can't cope anymore I want to die Depression Forum 15
I im crying So badly at life i cant cope anymore and cant see me beijg here much lomger:-( Depression Forum 8