• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do I ask for forgiveness & a last chance?

B

bluebell24

I've had my head buried in books for days, finally facing my illness head on and at the same time my mood has been stabilising ... beginning to feel positive and motivated again.

What's been tough though is reading about the way friends & family feel and appreciating fully what I have put a former friend through in the past year. Now I completely understand why he wanted to cut ties : (

I know I'm ready yet to try and speak to him, it's a lot to take in and I know just how much work I have to do for/with myself to keep me well.

However I do want to think long & hard about how I approach him so I don't mess up what could be my only chance. I don't want to come across as self-obsessed but feel I will need to explain what I know about the bad behaviour in the past, to let him know that I don't expect him to be my caretaker and that I am genuinely sorry and really quite appalled now I have a grip on the stress it may have caused him.

I just don't know how I'll convince him that my words are really sincere. I'll do whatever it takes to have him as a friend again ... any terms or boundaries he wants, I'll respect. But will I ever make him believe me when I know he'll perceive it as such a huge risk? :confused:

A

Ainsworth

just a suggestion, may not be correct but....

write it down, take along time writing it, get the words and feelings correct and see if he will meet with you, then give him it personally so he can read it infront of you.

shaun3210

shaun3210

That sounds like really good advice from unremarkable :)

B

bluebell24

Yes, thanks, I think trying to get it right on paper is going to be the right approach. I'd love to meet up with him but I don't think logistics will allow for it as he lives 7 hours away ... I'd prefer it as I know I can gauge his feelings far better face to face but I think I'll have to try for a phone call.

I suspect strongly he won't answer any attempt to call so I'm also thinking carefully about what I could say in a message that might at least make him agree to talk. In the past we always got through difficulties by laughing at the ridiculous situations I'd create but I'm conscious of not coming across as glib. It's really going to take a lot of thought and preparation as I know I'll only get one shot at this.

I really hope when the time comes I don't blow it!