How do I … deal with seasonal affective disorder?

F

firemonkee57

This weekend marks the point across Europe when autumn becomes early winter and everything suddenly seems darker (most north Americans get an extra week before daylight saving). For most of us, it’s a negligible transition: an extra hour in bed, then lowering skies, a winter hiatus before the year starts again.

But for a small minority, winter exacts a heavy toll. In the UK, about 3% of the population are estimated to suffer from seasonal affective disorder, a debilitating illness which prevents those affected from functioning normally without appropriate treatment. About 20% of people in the UK experience mildly debilitating symptoms of Sad, called “subsyndromal Sad” or “winter blues”.

How do I

If anything I experience mild "winter blues "

M

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have SAD on top of everything else but I'm worse in the Summer months even though I love Summer, it's confusing.

Sorry if it's a little off topic.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I have SAD on top of everything else but I'm worse in the Summer months even though I love Summer, it's confusing.

Sorry if it's a little off topic.
I find different seasons challenging for different reasons. Summer can leave me feeling really lonely and sadder than ever if i'm stuck indoors and lonely (which I usually am).

While i've not got a diagnosis of SAD, seasonal changes are not kind to me.
Feeling like shit already and it's still two months 'til the solstice. :(

M

MisterPositive

I made a song and video based on my own experience with BPD and SADS, along with my own coping strategies which got me completely off of meds and happy :rolleyes:
https://youtu.be/7hobk-EXmxY

M

Member67

I just try to tell myself that I like the rubbish winter weather.
Although I much prefer summer, it can be a mindf*** mentally as everyone seems to be out and about and happy, and if you just want to lock your self away from the world I usually feel guilty doing it when there is good weather outside. At least in winter I can hide away and socially hibernate and feel content doing it more coz the weather sucks :)

A

Alone_and_tired

Have you gotten your vitamin D levels checked? It could be low levels of that in the winter. Ask your doctor.