• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How did your family react?

• Thread starter TheSadnessWillLastForever
  • Start date
TheSadnessWillLastForever

TheSadnessWillLastForever

My mom recently saw new marks on my arm and smacked them as if to punish me for punishing myself. It's the same way she reacted when she found out I was self harming over ten years ago. I thought she understood me better but I guess nothing has changed. I was just at t wondering, if your family/friends have found out you self harmed, how did they react? Tell me the story, vent to me. I'm curious.

Keesha

Keesha

My parents didn’t care that I was self harming. As long as it didn’t affect them.
Vent to you. My father was abusing me so severely that I would rather be distracted with the physical pain than feel the depth of psychological pain.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am so sorry your Mum reacted that way. In my case my mum said 'A lot of people your age do silly things'. It was never mentioned again.

N

NoOne5

Accused me of attention seeking. Made me homicidal. I was contemplating a murder suicide against my mom and older sister. I'm no goddamn attention whore. I actually like being left the fuck alone more than people think.

N

NoOne5

Sorry for my harshness. I need a better therapist.

N

NoOne5

Yikes! I can't believe I said this on a public forum! :hidesbehindsofa: Oh well it's nothing I haven't shared with my therapist and psychiatrist.

M

Marianda

I never self harmed . When I had my first episode of depression they did not seem to care. I was surprised by that, especially because my father had a brother who committed suicide.

Keesha

Keesha

I only self harmed for one year.
The year my dad violently and sexually abused me. My tailbone was shattered and I had a broken wrist. It was the same year I left home and supported myself.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TheSadnessWillLastForever Self Harm Forum 8
mandy125 Self Harm Forum 4
M Self Harm Forum 3
Annelis Self Harm Forum 16
F Self Harm Forum 2