• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How did your ED start? Share your story.

E

emmaleemochizuki

I always had disordered eating but I was about 15 when it spiralled into a full blown eating disorder.
It was a number of things that triggered it. I was starting to go through puberty and I was very uncomfortable with how my body was changing. I lost someone very important to suicide, and there's a lot of conflicting emotions about that. At the same time I was doing my GCSEs and stressing about exams, and my scholarship on hold. And there was a lot of other things too and all of that became a perfect 'recipe', and I was diagnosed with anorexia.

I'm almost 21 now, and it has been a long journey. As time goes on I realised that it was far more than just food and weight. In fact probably nothing really about that. I experienced a lot trauma when I was young and developed a lot of maladaptive coping mechanisms where eating disorder was one of them. The last six years was a lot of ups and downs. I have been sectioned, admitted multiple times to EDUs and acute wards. But slowly I am recovering. I am still very far from recovered and I know I might not ever get there, but working with my therapist, my psychiatrist, my CPN and everyone that was involved in my care, challenging what I fear the most, things have changed, and I have grown.

What is your story?

JessisMe

JessisMe

I don’t know that there is a reason for it but one night when I was in third or fourth grade my parents went out and left me with a babysitter and I ate a half a pound of cheese. My parents got home and blamed the babysitter. And so my trend of secret overeating/bingeing began. Only as opportunity presented itself which was not too often. Now I only overeat substantially when I am in manía from my bipolar. But there is really no “solution” but rather an ongoing struggle of which yo-yo dieting seems to be key.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Mine started when my dad died four weeks before my wedding. I lost a lot of weight in that month but then it continued for a further 12 years whilst in an abusive marriage. Fortunately I’m ok now but i know when i get anxious or upset i do find eating difficult