• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How did you start to deal with depression?

Lexara

Lexara

I'm 21 years old and just got a diagnosis for depression (possibly in combination with social anxiety) from my GP. I'm on sick leave from University right now and probably have to wait several weeks to get an appointment with a psychiatrist for further treatment. I just moved back in with my parents to have a closer support system, which helped. But now I don't have much to do and feel myself isolating in my room and struggling to find things to do especially when I'm alone. I want to try doing something to get better but right now i really don't know where to start.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Start by getting out of your room. Light and exercise and seeing some of the world that isn't a single room is very important so combine them and make yourself go for a walk in the mornings. If you start to feel better either try and find someone to go along with you or try and increase your social contact in some other way. If you can do these things you're getting out of it okay.

S

Saoirse

Hey Lexara,
I hope you're doing okay right now. (I know okay is really relative though...) It's probably a little frightening having just had the diagnosis, or at least bewildering. Where to begin right? Kinda intimidating. Also posting on here, you sometimes have to someone up a bit of courage, so well done! I've had depression 9 years now (25, also a uni student 💪 High five!) I have ups and downs (currently down), and by no means to I have my **** together but I've done some awesome stuff despite depression, so don't lose hope, it's not something that has to limit what you do or who you are. For me, my first breakthrough came from realising that I and depression were separate entities - sounds weird I know, but stick with me here - the person I am when I'm super depressed and the person I am when I'm myself are quite different. From that time on I directed the anger and frustration I had previously felt at myself (that voice that told me I was pathetic), at depression. I thought about everything that it had taken from me; my friends, my passions, my education, my lust for life, my relationships with my family, and I decided that I would fight back, instead of further hurting myself... There are many many things you can do that will help. If you've been in touch with a psychiatrist that's already a great first step, and presumably they will be able to go through the different therapies and/or medications that are available. On top of that, I really like meditation and mindfulness (there are apps you can download on your phone) - just doing like two minutes of meditation always makes me feel better. Exercise also works very well for me - if there's a certain sport you like or one you'd like to try get into it - make sure it's something you enjoy, rather than something that feels like punishment though! If a group class or club sport is too much right now, just do some YouTube stuff or a small walk. Small steps are better. If you decide to go for a run don't say 'i have to go running for half an hour', say 'I'm going to put my running shoes on and stand outside'... By the time you're out there, you might happen to think 'okay, may as well run a little bit', or you can just go back inside, no biggie! Celebrate the your victories - like phoning a friend or doing your laundry - doing these things when you're low can be very incredibly difficult. It takes more strength than most people could ever realise. Take it easy, don't punish yourself when you have a bad day, (being depressed about being depressed is...well it sucks), allow yourself to ride the wave a little, don't feel bad about feeling bad, just do what you can do in the moment. And never forget, you really aren't alone, no matter how much it feels that way.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Hi @Lexara
It can be very difficult not to isolate when you have depression. Don't be hard on yourself for trying to overcome the isolation and not seeing much progress. Like @Saoirse said, start out by taking small steps and gradually increasing them in intensity.

Lexara

Lexara

Hey Lexara,
I hope you're doing okay right now. (I know okay is really relative though...) It's probably a little frightening having just had the diagnosis, or at least bewildering. Where to begin right? Kinda intimidating. Also posting on here, you sometimes have to someone up a bit of courage, so well done! I've had depression 9 years now (25, also a uni student 💪 High five!) I have ups and downs (currently down), and by no means to I have my **** together but I've done some awesome stuff despite depression, so don't lose hope, it's not something that has to limit what you do or who you are. For me, my first breakthrough came from realising that I and depression were separate entities - sounds weird I know, but stick with me here - the person I am when I'm super depressed and the person I am when I'm myself are quite different. From that time on I directed the anger and frustration I had previously felt at myself (that voice that told me I was pathetic), at depression. I thought about everything that it had taken from me; my friends, my passions, my education, my lust for life, my relationships with my family, and I decided that I would fight back, instead of further hurting myself... There are many many things you can do that will help. If you've been in touch with a psychiatrist that's already a great first step, and presumably they will be able to go through the different therapies and/or medications that are available. On top of that, I really like meditation and mindfulness (there are apps you can download on your phone) - just doing like two minutes of meditation always makes me feel better. Exercise also works very well for me - if there's a certain sport you like or one you'd like to try get into it - make sure it's something you enjoy, rather than something that feels like punishment though! If a group class or club sport is too much right now, just do some YouTube stuff or a small walk. Small steps are better. If you decide to go for a run don't say 'i have to go running for half an hour', say 'I'm going to put my running shoes on and stand outside'... By the time you're out there, you might happen to think 'okay, may as well run a little bit', or you can just go back inside, no biggie! Celebrate the your victories - like phoning a friend or doing your laundry - doing these things when you're low can be very incredibly difficult. It takes more strength than most people could ever realise. Take it easy, don't punish yourself when you have a bad day, (being depressed about being depressed is...well it sucks), allow yourself to ride the wave a little, don't feel bad about feeling bad, just do what you can do in the moment. And never forget, you really aren't alone, no matter how much it feels that way.
Thanks Saoirse, this one rally helped a lot right now! I really wanna try exercising again. I did a lot of Judo and weight training back in school (before starting university) and had just picked up archery before the pandemic hit. But even back in school I was never good at running or working out by myself so I might have to wait until after lockdown for this. But I will try meditation regularly now and try to go for a walk at least once a day.

S

Saoirse

Thanks Saoirse, this one rally helped a lot right now! I really wanna try exercising again. I did a lot of Judo and weight training back in school (before starting university) and had just picked up archery before the pandemic hit. But even back in school I was never good at running or working out by myself so I might have to wait until after lockdown for this. But I will try meditation regularly now and try to go for a walk at least once a day.
Oh this is really cool! I'm actually a massive Brazilian jiu-jitsu freak 😝 Desperately missing it in lockdown, would love to practise some judo takedowns ahahah (yep you can really tell I'm having withdrawal....next I'll be persuading people in the supermarket to try out armbars.... Concerning...) Anyhow, best of luck with the meditation and the rest! You've also inspired me a little now too! Take it easy though, be kind to yourself, and take it one small step at a time *virtual hug

E

EclipticNight

Learn. Study your mind and feelings, question why and develop tricks that will allow you to bypass depression in order to live life. Let's say you cant walk to the mailbox due to anxiety. First find out why, for me it was the chance of running into a person. I cant live life without going to the mailbox so instead I do it in the middle of the night. As time goes by you will find all kinds of ways to push yourself without also destroying yourself. The more you know about how it all functions scientifically and phyciologically the better prepared you will be to fight it off.