• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How did you start hearing voices

Bloopyscoopy

Bloopyscoopy

I should say that I had several imaginary friends as a young child. That started when I was about 3 or 4 and went on until I was maybe 6. Some male, some female. But I wouldn't consider them voices really or even hallucinations because I remember creating them like characters in a story and acting as them like I was performing all of the parts in a play. But my aunt and sister were really concerned.

I would also try to imagine love making too when I was very young, after seeing it on tv. Later when I was a teenager I would see shadow figures and had terrible nightmares that a ghost or evil spirit was trying to molest me while I was asleep. The tactile hallucinations started as a young adult, after I had been put on psyche medication for bipolar disorder.

I'm not sure if any of this info is relative since I don't have the same type of experience.. but maybe it can help someone else idk

Shari

Shari

I started hearing voices when I was in the midst of coming off of methamphetamine, was very stressed out, suicidal, and contemplating the non-existence of God. It was in a Motel room just before my spiritual emergence. There were four voices and I could hear them coming from the room next door and when I was showering. They have never gone away. That was two summers ago. I have no prior mental health issues.

Q

Qusisea

Former member
I started hearing voices when I was in the midst of coming off of methamphetamine, was very stressed out, suicidal, and contemplating the non-existence of God. It was in a Motel room just before my spiritual emergence. There were four voices and I could hear them coming from the room next door and when I was showering. They have never gone away. That was two summers ago. I have no prior mental health issues.
Funny thing is I always hear them in the bathroom as well.

OCDguy

OCDguy

The first experience I had from memory was in my early childhood. I was alone in my Nan's bedroom at the time. A voice said to me in a reassuring voice that the power was about to go off and within a couple of minutes (maybe sooner) we had a power cut... Had it not been for this voice I know I would have been alarmed by it (the light in the bedroom was on at the time on a darkish afternoon).