• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How did you know you had the illness?

T

Tvgirl

Read post #306 again on this thread:

Big hugs :hug: Hang in there, TVGirl xxx
Thankyou @Lunar Lady

L

Lab rat

Just to add my two penny worth, I can hallucinate voices which come from people talking (their mouths are moving, but I hear something completely different) I can also take a real person (not talking) and I can hallucinate their lips moving... in fact, I can hallucinate fresh air into a person or groups of people talking.

I would bet a pound to a penny this is the case for you @Tvgirl

I hope this saves you some time, it took many years for me to figure it out. I wish someone had floated the idea with me sooner. If you want there is a film called a beautiful mind which shows this type of hallucination (completely fictitious if you’ve read the book) but it does do a good job of portraying that type of hallucination.

T

Tvgirl

Just to add my two penny worth, I can hallucinate voices which come from people talking (their mouths are moving, but I hear something completely different) I can also take a real person (not talking) and I can hallucinate their lips moving... in fact, I can hallucinate fresh air into a person or groups of people talking.

I hope this saves you some time, it took many years for me to figure it out. I wish someone had floated the idea with me sooner. If you want there is a film called a beautiful mind which shows this type of hallucination (completely fictitious if you’ve read the book) but it does do a good job of portraying that type of hallucination.
Thankyou. I really hope this is the case. I'm tired of looking for a camera.

L

Lab rat

I don’t trust ANYTHING I hear from ANYONE at ANYTIME, until it proves true. If you can learn to do this, it will increase your quality of life 100%

T

Tvgirl

I don’t trust ANYTHING I hear from ANYONE at ANYTIME, until it proves true. If you can learn to do this, it will increase your quality of life 100%
Do you mean people telling me it's real or people telling me it's not real? Dont trust without proof right?

L

Lab rat

Do you mean people telling me it's real or people telling me it's not real? Dont trust without proof right?
Ok, I’ll generate a random example. Seeing as you said it’s insulting, I’ll go for the worst hypothetical example I can think of.

Suppose I’m cutting my hedge, and the guy next door says I am a peadophile. If there was someone else there, I want to know they heard it too. If there isn’t, I’ll go round my neighbours house, not looking for a row but to borrow something. If he has called me a peado, then his demeanour will give it away. He will either be aggressive or awkward. If he just treats me like a normal neighbour, he probably didn’t say it. I can even say “did you try to tell me something over the hedge earlier, I couldn’t hear what it was”

In other words, test the hallucinations and don’t believe anything you hear until it proves true.

God, @Tvgirl you must be exhausted looking for a camera

T

Tvgirl

Ok, I’ll generate a random example. Seeing as you said it’s insulting, I’ll go for the worst hypothetical example I can think of.

Suppose I’m cutting my hedge, and the guy next door says I am a peadophile. If there was someone else there, I want to know they heard it too. If there isn’t, I’ll go round my neighbours house, not looking for a row but to borrow something. If he has called me a peado, then his demeanour will give it away. He will either be aggressive or awkward. If he just treats me like a normal neighbour, he probably didn’t say it. I can even say “did you try to tell me something over the hedge earlier, I couldn’t hear what it was”

In other words, test the hallucinations and don’t believe anything you hear until it proves true.

God, @Tvgirl you must be exhausted looking for a camera
Years that's a good idea. To ask and test the hallucinations. And yes I'm exhausted looking for a camera.

ht46

ht46

I was diagnosed with psychosis after a psychotic episode I was hearing voices, seeing things and lost touch with reality. But I didn't find out I was diagnosed with schizophrenia until the lady in the welfare office told me.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
this psychiatrist used the dsm 3 to say i wasn't schitzoprenic, i remember mind asking to hear from anyone who#d been diagnosed schitzoprenic using the dsm 3, he put me on sulpiride, he said, why did you tell the police you were schitzoprenic when i say your not, i said they asked me what the drugs were for and thats what it says on the box

he also rediagnosed a friend who'd go round saying hypermanic episodes of an affective nature, as the diagnosis, this friend appealed to a benefit tribunal, they sent all the paperwork and the gp had put paranoid schitzoprenia

remember saying to one psychiatrist you say ,those psychiatrists who said i wasn't schitzoprenic are wrong .how do you know your right when you say i am, he said get 7 psychiatrists get 7 different diagnoseses

C

CoffeecupnoMug

But I think it started before hand because everywhere I went people knew who I was and was talking about me.
Oh talking to you...not about you. Kinda like the Mad but not really.

C

CoffeecupnoMug

I had a Aunt Penny. A Beautiful Mind...telepathically speaking of course.

C

Crystal89

im hearing voices all the time right now. Its so horrible. i'm in a living hell. Its like the voice speaks through me, like channelling. I had two huge episodes of serious psychosis. where everything I did was channelled, and I did the most crazy awful things. Are you still hearing voices?