• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How did you deal with driving anxiety?

K

Kv21

A big chunk of my depression is due to my inability to drive. If I could drive, it would make my life a lot simpler. I would also feel like less of a burden on others. I have no confidence, and bad social anxiety. Enough where, if someone was walking on the sidewalk I was biking down, I would turn down another street and make a detour.For obvious reasons, I can't do this on a street with a car.

Social anxiety aside, I'm afraid of losing focus and hitting a car. I'm afraid of losing control. I'm afraid another car will hit me. I'm afraid I won't remember what a sign means, or that I'll forget a rule while driving. And the fears just go on and on.

I'm trying to work on my driving anxiety by biking on the smaller streets (I usually bike near big streets with heavy traffic so I usually stay on the sidewalk cause I'm really slow).

But has anything worked for anyone else that had driving anxiety?

Faith198

Faith198

You’re not alone. I too had/have a lot of anxiety about driving. I’ve been somewhat stable for a while and have been able to face my fear recently. I’m on medication and tbh that is the only thing that has helped me a lot. I’m 22 and I should of had my license at 16, but I was sick and also had a ton of anxiety at the time. I can relate with feeling like a burden and things.

You’re not though. You can’t help your anxiety over things. For me, I try really hard to just focus on driving and try and block out everything else. It is something you have to be very alert for. If someone drives you around, I would start paying attention to signs, lanes, etc. it will get you familiar.

I’m sorry your anxiety has done this, like I said I can relate a lot. I hope you can overcome it when the time is right :hug:

E

Eirlys

A big chunk of my depression is due to my inability to drive. If I could drive, it would make my life a lot simpler. I would also feel like less of a burden on others. I have no confidence, and bad social anxiety. Enough where, if someone was walking on the sidewalk I was biking down, I would turn down another street and make a detour.For obvious reasons, I can't do this on a street with a car.

Social anxiety aside, I'm afraid of losing focus and hitting a car. I'm afraid of losing control. I'm afraid another car will hit me. I'm afraid I won't remember what a sign means, or that I'll forget a rule while driving. And the fears just go on and on.

I'm trying to work on my driving anxiety by biking on the smaller streets (I usually bike near big streets with heavy traffic so I usually stay on the sidewalk cause I'm really slow).

But has anything worked for anyone else that had driving anxiety?
Hi, sadly don't have any advice to help as I went on one driving lesson to discover I had a phobia of driving, spent the rest of the evening a mess, cried every time my parents brought up the possibility of me trying it again and have for now accepted I will just use public transport. But the fact you are taking steps to deal with it such as still cycling and trying to find solutions is really great. I'm sure you'll find a way through to deal with it since you seem very motivated to find a way to drive. Good luck!