• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How did you cope with life after graduating university or even leaving the education system in general

A

Albawolf

Former member
Good evening everyone

I graduated university 5 months ago. This is worst 5 months of my life .

I spent my whole in life the education system. Now for the first time ever I am not going to classes or have homework to do.
I feel so lost and confused. It is absolutely horrible

I don't know what I want to do with my life. It is absolutely terrifying

I was diagnosed with depression in January but graduating university has just made my depression so much worse . I am not exaggerating.

I even planned to kill myself after graduating so I wont deal with all the uncertainty. I wish I did now .

I thinking of doing teacher training even I don't want to be a teacher or just doing a another degree . I just don't know anything else .

I would like to know how did you guys cope with life after graduating university or even leaving education in general?

A

Albawolf

Former member
I can't talk to anyone. I have nobody.
My family never listen and 2 friends live far away. 1 of my closest friends at uni stopped talking to me after exams .
I know people have worse than me .

calypso

calypso

Admin
Never mind about other people having it worse than you, you are the only one who matters right now. I crashed after my degree course was finished and didn't know what to do with myself. I had spent the middle year in psych unit too. (I am diagnosed bipolar). What do you tell your family that they are so unsupportive? Have they always been this way? I wrote a letter to my mother and explained it all that way and she finally "got it".

You are very young and so there are possibilities out there for you. Don't do teacher training if you don't want to do it. Just get through this awful depression, keep taking the meds (I presume you are on meds) and if they aren't working, go back to your GP and nag them to give you alternative ones. I had to try 6 types before they found the right ones for me.

Are you sleeping at all? Lack of sleep often makes matters worse. You need to tell the GP about that if you aren't. You can beat this and find another life for yourself I just know it. What else interests you?

Z

Zoe1

I did architecture at universally
and I totally went off the rails afterwards
got into a very bad relationship and gradually dropped out of work
and was on some king of bender ever since
up to about 5 years ago when I was hospitalised

I dont regret my mental illness somehow
I learned so much and had fun in my recovery

I think knowing what I really wanted to do
would have helped to keep me stable in the first place

:grouphug: 🎄 🕯

A

Albawolf

Former member
Never mind about other people having it worse than you, you are the only one who matters right now. I crashed after my degree course was finished and didn't know what to do with myself. I had spent the middle year in psych unit too. (I am diagnosed bipolar). What do you tell your family that they are so unsupportive? Have they always been this way? I wrote a letter to my mother and explained it all that way and she finally "got it".

You are very young and so there are possibilities out there for you. Don't do teacher training if you don't want to do it. Just get through this awful depression, keep taking the meds (I presume you are on meds) and if they aren't working, go back to your GP and nag them to give you alternative ones. I had to try 6 types before they found the right ones for me.

Are you sleeping at all? Lack of sleep often makes matters worse. You need to tell the GP about that if you aren't. You can beat this and find another life for yourself I just know it. What else interests you?
Thank you for your reply

When i turned 21 last year i just felt my life was failure . Gradually i lost my confidence.
I told my family and people noboby wanted to listen. Everyone kept saying i will be fine. Months later i became sucidial because i did not want deal with adulthood and future absloutley scared me .

My family never listen. I cry , scream they ignore me . I am done talking to them about anyting. When i self harmed they covered it up . They treated me like the plague.
Not everyone has families that want to listen.

I have no idea education was all i ever knew. I am in the unknown.

I did some work experience at uni
( Volunteer Citzens advice and i was socities chair at uni)
Not much though

A

Albawolf

Former member
I did architecture at universally
and I totally went off the rails afterwards
got into a very bad relationship and gradually dropped out of work
and was on some king of bender ever since
up to about 5 years ago when I was hospitalised

I dont regret my mental illness somehow
I learned so much and had fun in my recovery

I think knowing what I really wanted to do
would have helped to keep me stable in the first place

:grouphug: 🎄 🕯
[/QUOT
I already had mental health issues at uni.
Not knowing what to do after university has made my depression worse.
I am all on my own .
I cope with the lack of strcuture in my life.

Z

Zoe1

yeah I have had problems with lack of structure
I just have to start researching
for courses and voluntary work that I can manage
so there is something to work towards

currently I only have groups twice a week
because ive got alot of therapeutic stuff going on
so thats all I can manage

🕯 🕯 🕯

A

Albawolf

Former member
yeah I have had problems with lack of structure
I just have to start researching
for courses and voluntary work that I can manage
so there is something to work towards

currently I only have groups twice a week
because ive got alot of therapeutic stuff going on
so thats all I can manage

🕯 🕯 🕯
When did you gradaute

What courses are you looking at?

I do volunteer work with my chruch and i dont enjoy it at all. :(

I dont always feel included in actvities.

I missed a session accidently no one bothered to contact me .

There peolple in my age in my church but dont have much in common with them

Z

Zoe1

I had that with a church Albawolf
and somehow I now ended up with a different church
who are completely much better with me

C

Cedric A

Hi,
I experienced something similar towards the end and after school.
I don't know this about you but in my case, it had to do with me being a perfectionist or control-freak I think.

It just felt like if I made the wrong decision I would regret it so much and I would put making the decision off until I would know for sure.
But I have come to realize no one knows for sure and by making decision's we know what we want from life.

That thought helped me let go off my anxiety in decision making, you can't really make a wrong decision when you are young I think because you can just make another.

I hope you feel better soon!

A

Albawolf

Former member
I had that with a church Albawolf
and somehow I now ended up with a different church
who are completely much better with me
What church do you attend?

I am a catholic

calypso

calypso

Admin
Thank you for your reply

When i turned 21 last year i just felt my life was failure . Gradually i lost my confidence.
I told my family and people noboby wanted to listen. Everyone kept saying i will be fine. Months later i became sucidial because i did not want deal with adulthood and future absloutley scared me .

My family never listen. I cry , scream they ignore me . I am done talking to them about anyting. When i self harmed they covered it up . They treated me like the plague.
Not everyone has families that want to listen.

I have no idea education was all i ever knew. I am in the unknown.

I did some work experience at uni
( Volunteer Citzens advice and i was socities chair at uni)
Not much though
If you could do anything at all, what would interest you? Anything I mean, whether its realistic or not?

I Know that I had a depression at your age and felt the same thing. I did 2 years therapy and as a result became much better as I realised that it wasn't me being unable to cope with adulthood but rather some real issues I had from childhood. Your family not listening to you could be a root cause of your depression after all.

C

Causeway

I kept going... did a Masters and now onto a PhD, hoping to do a second degree once I finish this. It helps so much.

A

Albawolf

Former member
If you could do anything at all, what would interest you? Anything I mean, whether its realistic or not?

I Know that I had a depression at your age and felt the same thing. I did 2 years therapy and as a result became much better as I realised that it wasn't me being unable to cope with adulthood but rather some real issues I had from childhood. Your family not listening to you could be a root cause of your depression after all.
I am not where i am suppposed to be. I always thought when i was younger i would be in a relationship and in a job at 22.
I feel so immaute for my age.
I dont how to pay a bill , order online
I am failing to be am adult.