• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How did you come to love your body?

R

Rina

Hi this is my first time posting here! I'm a chubby anorexic girl who struggles with binge eating and bulimia as well. I've talked to my friends and family about my eating disorders, but I feel like i've hit a wall with them. They're never really going to understand it AND THANK GOD FOR THAT because I wouldn't want them to feel the way I do. I go back and forth between barely eating or not eating at all and binge eating and purging. I want to get better, but I'm unable to love my body right now. If you've managed to love your body or you're on your way to loving it, how did you do it?

Acorn

Acorn

Hello

I don’t really love my body but yoga helped me to connect to it and also respect it.

What really made the difference was working out why I hate my body. For me it’s due to abuse. I was punishing myself. I felt undeserving. I felt betrayed by my body. I needed therapy to process that and I’m still working on it

M

Mary26

I shifted my focus away from my body and started doing serious spiritual work. The people I was meditating with had this warm, open, loving energy and they saw (the inside) me. There was no value to being thin or pretty in that environment. It was healing and helped change the whole internal conversation.

G

goodgollymiss

Eating healthy foods can fuel the mind. If you focus on learning you won't mind the fat and it will probably go away slowly during the year. Bulimia could starve the brain down the road. You wouldn't want to lose your freedom because of a loss of cognitive abilities

B

BellJin

I can't say I love my body, but I try to. Every day I stand in front of the mirror and say that I'm beautiful

D

Darkveldt

Hi this is my first time posting here! I'm a chubby anorexic girl who struggles with binge eating and bulimia as well. I've talked to my friends and family about my eating disorders, but I feel like i've hit a wall with them. They're never really going to understand it AND THANK GOD FOR THAT because I wouldn't want them to feel the way I do. I go back and forth between barely eating or not eating at all and binge eating and purging. I want to get better, but I'm unable to love my body right now. If you've managed to love your body or you're on your way to loving it, how did you do it?
If you restrict/starve to loose weight of course you will gain it back unless you are 100 anorexic and even then that can still happen.Its a horrible yo yo cycle that you and many others including once myself have been and are in.I broke it and maybe you can.I am better but will always want to loose weight despite my weight being a bit low at the moment.As for you please get help you deserve more than a starving model Bridget Jones eating disorder.

C

constantlyelisabeth

Hi! I try and focus on all the good my body does. For example, I have a niece and nephew under 5 years old and I think about how my body lets me hold them, provide them comfort, and run around with them. Or I think about how much fun I have when I dance and feel like I am not being judged (perhaps at a sorority dance in my case, or at a club where people are kind). I also think about how strong I feel at my best. I certainly am not anywhere near a stable recovery phase yet, but I do find that helps me.

R

Rogue7

I dont love my body but I'm learning to be OK with it. I try to focus more on being healthy and conscious of what I put in my body. Trying to focus on nutrition rather than calories. It's hard work.