• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How did you all know when your meds weren’t working properly?

P

Paul396

16th day on lamotrigine and i get lower every day. This is the lowest i have ever been and not sure if i should keep going. I am also just getting off of Abilify so maybe that is having an effect too as someone earlier suggested. Since i am stubborn i usually see things through but this is intense. I just pushed myself to go on interviews and even got a job offer, but i still feel lousy! All i want to do is sleep and think about how shi##y my life is. i forced myself to exercise and I still feel crappy. To boot, my doctor hasn’t returned my calls. Sorry…i have been posting here a lot lately and don’t mean to bring anyone down….it’s just you all have been so super helpful and i don’t know where else to turn to.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

You're more than welcome to post as often as you want/need. Everyone in this forum knows what struggling through MH issues is like, they're receptive to all calls for help/advice.

Does your physician have an answering service? Don't be timid to tell them you're really struggling, doctors should return calls under those circumstances-or request somebody else at the practice follow up with you. No excuses for less support than that. Hope you start to feel better soon.

P

Paul396

You're more than welcome to post as often as you want/need. Everyone in this forum knows what struggling through MH issues is like, they're receptive to all calls for help/advice.

Does your physician have an answering service? Don't be timid to tell them you're really struggling, doctors should return calls under those circumstances-or request somebody else at the practice follow up with you. No excuses for less support than that. Hope you start to feel better soon.
Thank you!

I emailed him and his assistant as well. Maybe they had the day off.

S

SFGuy

16th day on lamotrigine and i get lower every day. This is the lowest i have ever been and not sure if i should keep going. I am also just getting off of Abilify so maybe that is having an effect too as someone earlier suggested.
I'm sorry you're going through this. You do have a lot going on with your meds, with an increase in Lamotrigine & stopping Abilify. I would imagine it's hard for you or your doc to tell which drug change is hurting. I'd definitely reach out for help adamantly, though. You're feeling bad enough that you should get your psychiatrist's attention. If they're kind, they can prescribe drugs that make these transitions easier.

Zero One

Zero One

For one of the medicines I became homicidal and a lot of others disabled my mind in one way or another. Then I went to.a good psychiatrist and it took a year but I am doing much better now.

S

SFGuy

Then I went to.a good psychiatrist and it took a year but I am doing much better now.
A good psychiatrist makes all the differences. It took me many years to find one. The others did little for me.

Zero One

Zero One

A good psychiatrist makes all the differences. It took me many years to find one. The others did little for me.
Yes my first one was good at diagnosing, but she was not good with the meds.

K

keith74

16th day on lamotrigine and i get lower every day. This is the lowest i have ever been and not sure if i should keep going. I am also just getting off of Abilify so maybe that is having an effect too as someone earlier suggested. Since i am stubborn i usually see things through but this is intense. I just pushed myself to go on interviews and even got a job offer, but i still feel lousy! All i want to do is sleep and think about how shi##y my life is. i forced myself to exercise and I still feel crappy. To boot, my doctor hasn’t returned my calls. Sorry…i have been posting here a lot lately and don’t mean to bring anyone down….it’s just you all have been so super helpful and i don’t know where else to turn to.
Sorry to hear of your struggles. Lamotrigine can take several weeks to fully kick in. I hope you can get in touch with your pdoc. Best of luck

P

Paul396

I'm sorry you're going through this. You do have a lot going on with your meds, with an increase in Lamotrigine & stopping Abilify. I would imagine it's hard for you or your doc to tell which drug change is hurting. I'd definitely reach out for help adamantly, though. You're feeling bad enough that you should get your psychiatrist's attention. If they're kind, they can prescribe drugs that make these transitions easier.
Thank you! I have never felt like this so it’s hard to tell what is causing it.

P

Paul396

For one of the medicines I became homicidal and a lot of others disabled my mind in one way or another. Then I went to.a good psychiatrist and it took a year but I am doing much better now.
Glad you found a good psychiatrist! Not sure about mine yet.

Zero One

Zero One

Glad you found a good psychiatrist! Not sure about mine yet.
I just researched to find one who has experience in a psych ward/hospital and is not afraid to list schizophrenia as something they help with....it was one of the first three things he listed.

E

emmaleemochizuki

medication like lamotrigine tends to take a long time to work so I'll suggest maybe give it a bit longer.

Amazingly

Amazingly

I just got on Lamictal recently and have crashed mood wise a couple of times.
Lamictal is a slow acting drug, and it’s going to take some time before you feel better.
Hang in there @Paul396

P

Paul396

medication like lamotrigine tends to take a long time to work so I'll suggest maybe give it a bit longer.
That’s good know. Thank you. Guess i will just fight through it the best i can until it starts to work.