• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How did voices begin for you?

A

alexeithymia

I'm curious whether there was mumbling or other sounds or whether they were quiet at first, that sort of thing, to tell if I'm getting worse. Thanks

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

The first time (that I know of) I was hearing a voice that wasn't real, it sounded like it was coming from another room and I couldn't make out the words, it didn't sound necessarily quiet to me because I thought it was them talking loud enough from another room for me to hear it...
Then most of the voices I've heard sound/feel like they are "inside" my head, only sometimes do I get the ones that sound external

I think I have heard other sounds too (dog barking, beeping, random tones, loud slamming or banging noises, electric shock sounding noises in the head,) sometimes but for me it's harder to tell if those are real or not. And most voices I've heard say short phrases or words not very loud, and I have had a lot of the mumbling and crowd chatter, not being able to make out words...voices come and go for me...haven't heard them much lately 🤔

EdEd

EdEd

The sounds and voices I heard were mixed into the natural sounds of the environment.. examples: wind , water faucet , birds , leaf rustling, shoes squeaking.. the voices hid inside of those types of sounds at first..

wollie

wollie

Mine started after years of abuse of alcohol and pot, I was just sitting in my cottage drunk of course when I heard voices from out side, I have had them now for 13 years and haven't drank since or smoked pot.

Passionflower

Passionflower

Mine stated nearly 30 years ago and began with voices coming from the next room, like the tv was on in there. I also heard my name being called and footsteps in my bedroom.They didn't get worse until a few years later.

A

alexeithymia

Mine stated nearly 30 years ago and began with voices coming from the next room, like the tv was on in there. I also heard my name being called and footsteps in my bedroom.They didn't get worse until a few years later.
Damn that's about where I'm at now

Zero One

Zero One

When I was a child I used to hear footsteps in the hall all of the time but no one else could hear it and they thought it was spiritual.

N

natalie

HI Folks/Hi All,

I wasn't well when I noticed this thread;

I am much better. Mine started off, through trauma. Unfortunately via a thome, I happend to have ah dissappeared off the home radar. It did not take until late night, until they had calls and radio messages t o parents and brother from British North West London Police, to confirm and verify that they had me has a lost and found case. Now, I have the speech, they wouldn't have been able to have had one word out of me, they asked for home phone numbe,r ahh, i felt i haven't lost my marbles in that regard, so I knew what the phone number was, and jotted down for them, off course, I did not have amoible phone so it was difficult, and also horrendous for on home front.

Now having been so to speak, stuck in a Poilce pound, later on in the short term, I had suffered with Police heard voices, from the Pound, and it was very traumatising for me, and us at home.

There is another side to the story, I'll venture to that, if a relavant topic comes up, on another occasion.

Have a good day all,

Best regards all.

EarthChild

EarthChild

My voices started when I was about 15. Didn't hear them much and didn't know what voices were at the time but I experienced the voice as thoughts but they weren't my thoughts and they spoke to me, threatened me with sickness if I didn't do what they wanted. Had severe panic attacks.

Nowadays I've discovered where the voices are coming from and their gender and names. They are from two spirits in my head called Alien and Sarah. Alien is the male evil voice (he was the one threatening me), and Sarah the good female voice defending me.

Ras

Ras

started hearing the odd thing here and there at first. It wasnt voices though, just odd little things and eventually it turned into hearing whispers and soon enough got to the point of hearing 6 voices constantly. 3 female voices, 2 male voices and one demon sounding voice
At first they were really encouraging minus the demon sounding one.
Eventually the positivity stopped and turned pretty negative but more in ways of feeding my paranoia and encouraging it

Spooky tooth

Spooky tooth

The voicething I hear emerged from the most intense paranoia that somebody , I had trusted , deliberately gave me during a full on crack session in a social setting in South America .

EdEd

EdEd

The voicething I hear emerged from the most intense paranoia that somebody , I had trusted , deliberately gave me during a full on crack session in a social setting in South America .
If you dont mind me asking what did that person tell you that made you so paranoid?

Spooky tooth

Spooky tooth

Well EdEd what he did basically was to set me up to be ripped off then generally acted the cnut around me , banning me from using the very pipe & contents that I had paid for .