How Cope with Phots

L

Lmurphy

Hi Everyone

I've got a huge event at work coming up next month. There will be cameras so a lot of photos will be taken.
I am terrified!! Yes it's about 4 weeks away but i'm thinking about it now, i don't know how i am going to cope. I just don't do photos. I hate myself!!! & standing next to people makes me feel worse about myself. My family doesnt even have photos of me.

I really don't think i can explain to the boss, she'll think i'm completely mad. At the same time i don't think i can just run away, it will look rude.

Can anyone offer me some advice please

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Sorry your going through this, if your distressed about this. Then the only option might be telling your boss. Your not mad for not wanting your photo taken.
Why do you hate yourself?
Take care

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
this probably is not very helpful but is there any way you can just refuse to have photos taken? or could you get out of attending the function?
i would suggest you had some counselling for your problem but there wouldn't be time for that to help

sorry to be useless please just know im thinking of you and hope you get through it xx

L

Lmurphy

Thanks for your messages.

There was a business network evening recently & I seen boss take out her phone. I went to walk away but she kept saying 'come here you have to be in the photo you're the new face of the business'
So i did, i don't know how i did it. It was just one photo & there wasn't many people there but i cried so much when i get home.
Now there will be loads of people at this event, may even be in the local paper. So i don't know what to do.

Why do you hate yourself?
I hate the way i am & look. I just don't fit in.

S

Stray

You don't have to have your photo taken. Can you tell your manager, in confidence, that you can't be included in any photos before the event? She doesn't need to know the reasons, but you have a right to say no I'm not comfortable with this, unless being photographed is in your job description..... Any photographer should ask permission to include people in their photos IMO. I never have my photo taken, always say I can't and people respect that. For me it's a safety issue, but no one should be impolite enough to ask questions xx

L

Lmurphy

I think your right Stray thanks. I may have to tell her or at least try.
I just know her & Vice President will be complaining.
Another thing i'm finding very difficult is people like that. The vice president is around a lot and she's a loud type of person, bossy always complaining about someone. I get very tense around people like that they make me cry weather it's to me or about me or about someone else.
I don't know how to deal with someone like that. The others girls just laugh it off, i don't know why i can't.

I know i must be a very weak person. I don't want to be like this.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Have you ever tried therapy, for the lack of self-confidence. Say no, it's okay to say no. However, you did it once. Could do it again, Your not a weak person. Your suffering from anxiety it seems. Therapy to increase your awareness and self-confidence might be really helpful.
Take care

S

Stray

I agree, you aren't a weak person. You are sensitive, the world hurts us more when sensitive. Brashness like that of your vice president maybe allows her to push her way through but it's not a bad thing to be sensitive, others at work need to respect your feelings. It might take some pressure off you once you've let your manager know that you are uncomfortable with having your photo taken? xx

L

Lmurphy

No i haven't tried therapy, I certainly don't think i can do it again. It will be very different this time. It will be a lot for me to deal with all the people never mind having to worry about photos all day too.

Maybe i am just sensitive but i'm thinking more over sensitive (maybe u guys are 2 nice 2 say it) am i right?

Also no one likes an over sensitive person do they?

S

Stray

I am over sensitive, I hate myself, but I understand how hard it is to work, live alongside other humans who have thicker skins. I don't like or dislike others on the basis of sensitivity, usually I find sensitivity to be common ground.
Some throw out " you're sooo sensitive" as a defence for their own lack of communication skills or lack of empathy. Sensitivity doesn't have to be negative x

L

Lmurphy

Thanks Stray i know what you mean but the other girls at work is so laid back, i see over sensitive as negative unfortunately, i would give anything to be like them

H

handheart

Well you can speak with your boss and tell him your situation and i think it will understand you

L

Lmurphy

I will have to. It's this Friday. I just know the first time they will say is: You have to be in the photos

Well you can speak with your boss and tell him your situation and i think it will understand you