• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How can you explain a phobia? Is it worth it even trying to?

jajingna

jajingna

If you have any fears (and who doesn't) do you ever try to explain them to anybody? That's if you have someone you could talk to about it if you wanted to. Someone who can handle such topics.

The way I see it is that people keep on thinking there's a rational response that works. You have this fear, and it is something that makes you unhappy, and maybe you've had it for years. There's nothing logical about it, fear doesn't give a damn about logic. Yet that is the sort of response people keep pushing. It's like saying "just think your way out of fear, use your common sense" or something like that. Were it so simple nobody would suffer from phobias.

It's like we think our ideas about these deeper emotions can solve them. Ideas seem sort of flimsy to me, not substantial at all in dealing with emotional problems. And that's why they don't banish fear, which is just more powerful and more deeply embedded into who we are.

evadiva123

evadiva123

If you have any fears (and who doesn't) do you ever try to explain them to anybody? That's if you have someone you could talk to about it if you wanted to. Someone who can handle such topics.

The way I see it is that people keep on thinking there's a rational response that works. You have this fear, and it is something that makes you unhappy, and maybe you've had it for years. There's nothing logical about it, fear doesn't give a damn about logic. Yet that is the sort of response people keep pushing. It's like saying "just think your way out of fear, use your common sense" or something like that. Were it so simple nobody would suffer from phobias.

It's like we think our ideas about these deeper emotions can solve them. Ideas seem sort of flimsy to me, not substantial at all in dealing with emotional problems. And that's why they don't banish fear, which is just more powerful and more deeply embedded into who we are.
honestly no. I really don’t try to explain it anymore. I have somniphobia which is the fear of sleeping. Its literally exactly what it is, I’m afraid to fall asleep. I tried explaining it to people when I first experienced it but as you said everyone responds with logical thinking. No one can step foot into your mind so I understand how it can be difficult to understand why some people have phobias but it’s really just about validating and understanding the person rather than resorting to just fixing it.

but I absolutely resonated and loved what you said, I hope you come to terms with your phobia. xx

J

Jigglypuff Fan

I have one phobia that is particularly odd and hard for others to understand especially if I try to explain it.

evadiva123

evadiva123

I have one phobia that is particularly odd and hard for others to understand especially if I try to explain it.
It must be really challenging at times and I’m very sorry about that. No one knows what anyone else goes through even if you tried to explain it in exact detail it can still be hard to comprehend as annoying as that is.

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

I don’t really have any phobias that I haven’t overcome. I’m pretty clean of fear atm. I like confronting my fears head on. But I guess if I was to name one it would be driving again. I haven’t driven in so long that I almost feel like I was in a horrible accident. But I wasn’t. Just feels that unnatural to me.

NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

I have a phobia of cockroaches, luckily a lot of other people too so it is not hard to explain.