• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

How can I help my partner?

R

Rainbow69

Hi. My partner of 18 months suffers from severe depression and anxiety. He gets very moody and although I know he is going through a difficult time, I find it hard to cope when he criticises me all the time and shouts at me. I want to help him but I’m quite a sensitive person so the shouting gets me down and I start feeling very emotional.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi and welcome. Also, thank you for asking your question. Not every partner of someone who lives with depression is as thoughtful or willing to learn as yourself. I want you to know how much I appreciate that.

This article is a good summary of dos/don'ts and how to be an ally. You might also suggest he have a look at this forum where he'll find understanding and kind people who are also struggling with symptoms. We want to assist you in your effort to support him.

R

Rainbow69

Thank you

Hi and welcome. Also, thank you for asking your question. Not every partner of someone who lives with depression is as thoughtful or willing to learn as yourself. I want you to know how much I appreciate that.

This article is a good summary of dos/don'ts and how to be an ally. You might also suggest he have a look at this forum where he'll find understanding and kind people who are also struggling with symptoms. We want to assist you in your effort to support him.
Thank you for your lovely reply. It is much appreciate