• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How can I help my friends with depression?

78rach45

I have a couple of friends who struggle with depression. I'm not really familiar with depression, but I have struggled with anxiety for years, so I can sort of relate. I want them to feel better, but I don't exactly know how to help.

If you have depression, what would you want to hear from your friends? What would be helpful for me to say? Anything helps.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

welcome ,when i am depressed i want to and need to be heard ,just having somebody say they are there for you and care can be enormously helpful
if you don't mind doing it offer to go to any medical appointments with them for their mental health ,i don't mean counselling
do nice things wit them but take care of yourself too ,you sound like a lovely friend ,they are lucky to have you xx

A

Alan Pizzaface

Hello, it's really awesome of you to want to help your friends and you're putting the effort in to find out how to do it. I only have one person who knows how depressed I get, they mean well but they say things like "you don't have it that bad" or "you've got nothing to be depressed about" or "appreciate the things you have more". When I'm so low that I'm in a self loathing phase I know they're not wrong but I can't help feeling like an awful person, so it makes me feel ungrateful, selfish etc and the pressure to feel better for their sake gets unbearable, so I sink lower.
Kindness does wonders for me, seeing other people be kind to eachother without an ulterior motive or if someone does something for me purely because its a nice thing to do I feel like I must be worth something, even a tiny gesture with no expectations or pressure gives a spark of positivity and eventually I'm strong enough to want to pass it on, which makes me feel better again. Like breaking a negativity cycle.
Your friends might just appreciate knowing you're there for them, supporting what they need, being available without judgement if they want to open up.
Thank you for helping them x

A

Am33

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Well if your friends computer was down you would recommend a good IT person to fix it . Our minds work very much like a computer with programming which therapy helps to unlock the beliefs (programs) causing the depression .See if they are open to therapy ? Unfortunately there is still a stigma out there about therapy that if people seek it there is something very wrong with them . You might also recommend positive affirmations to overcome the negative energy of depression they work for me like Einstein proved " everything " is energy .

JessisMe

JessisMe

For me just having people around me who are understanding and won’t put too many expectations on me is the best for me. If you want you can ask them if there is anything you can do to help make things better for them. A lot of times there really isn’t anything that you can do though this would differ from person to person. Just being a caring and understanding presence in their lives I’m sure is most appreciated and it seems that you are. xo, j

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Looking for any help Mental Health Experiences 2
A help identifying feelings when angry Mental Health Experiences 1
E Peer to peer vs professional help Mental Health Experiences 9
Amelia2020 How do I help my Grandmother get mental help? Mental Health Experiences 7
lavenderfire When People Need Help But Parents Don't Step In Mental Health Experiences 5
L Any help? Mental Health Experiences 3
T Need Help & Answers Mental Health Experiences 3
P Ending up homeless in the UK - help Mental Health Experiences 9
T Cops may need real help like we do Mental Health Experiences 13
Amelia2020 Please help: i feel like my mind is out of control Mental Health Experiences 1
T I tried to get help and got rejected Mental Health Experiences 13
M help! my friend with BPD is mirroring me & I dont know what to do Mental Health Experiences 1
J ***Please read and help*** unusual issue Mental Health Experiences 3
kimidare How to help my brother Mental Health Experiences 8
D Disability Law Service: No Help For Autistic Person Mental Health Experiences 1
N I am really depressed & don't want to live. My parents have disabled certain websites from my laptop based on keywor. So, i can't easily access help. Mental Health Experiences 7
J Would I be get reported if I confide this horrible act of mine to my therapist? Please Help!!! Mental Health Experiences 5
F New here, can anyone help with a childhood experience? Thank you Mental Health Experiences 47
Ineedhelp2921 This might help Mental Health Experiences 1
R Help for an 'all or nothing' mentality Mental Health Experiences 1
M HELP! I can’t stop shaking and can’t sleep Mental Health Experiences 2
S Help me understand him Mental Health Experiences 1
Naturelove7 I'm in a dilemma. Help! Mental Health Experiences 6
G HELP. How can I overcome emotional numbness and anhedonia? Mental Health Experiences 3
L Im in need of some help. Mental Health Experiences 10
A Need help dealing with my mother Mental Health Experiences 3
Soladwor The more I live, the more I realize that not many strangers want to help me get out of this mental rut. Mental Health Experiences 1
C Please help - questions about my brother Mental Health Experiences 9
T Unbelievably bad service /trigger warning/signs/not getting help Mental Health Experiences 58
D Help for ozzys Mental Health Experiences 1
C My first time here, talking about childhood experiences. Please help Mental Health Experiences 6
K Maybe I can help Mental Health Experiences 1
Memememememememe Help what's wrong with me?! Mental Health Experiences 9
T Triggered... feeling impulsive .. help Mental Health Experiences 8
S Plz help Mental Health Experiences 6
L Need help possable neurological disorder... Mental Health Experiences 1
A Where to find help Mental Health Experiences 5
Amber1964 Need help please Mental Health Experiences 6
S My experience (just thought sharing might help me) Mental Health Experiences 4
L My friends have betrayed me Mental Health Experiences 24
UpnDwn1978 Do you feel belittled by your friends Mental Health Experiences 4
H dont tell my friends about my problems Mental Health Experiences 4
H wish i had gaming friends Mental Health Experiences 5
F Depression Mental Health Experiences 2
S Does NHS treat a bout of depression different to Chronic long term depression? Mental Health Experiences 4
kimidare Has somebody been hospitalized for depression ? Mental Health Experiences 8
jajingna Depression and anxiety are physical illnesses also Mental Health Experiences 19
A Major Depression Mental Health Experiences 3
T Chronic feeling crap, depression or something else? Mental Health Experiences 2
E Depression and PIP Mental Health Experiences 1