• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How can I help my friend overcome his social anxiety?

A

Altruistic Hero

A friend of mine has a terrible social phobia, and I want to help him overcome it. A psychiatrist is already treating him, but I'd like to have contact with him at school.

However, he doubts very much that I really want to help him and that I like his company. He is afraid of disappointing me so much by embarrassing himself that I will never want to see him again. Besides, he thinks that I just want to spend time with him to not hurt his feelings, and I don't really appreciate him because he is so clumsy and timid.

How can I get him to trust me?

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. What a lovely, thoughtful friend you are. I think all you can do is be there for your friend and show them you care. It sounds like he has little self worth and cannot imagine anybody liking him. You being there will show him you do care.

toutatis

toutatis

Hi. Maybe you can tell him that you just like him as a person, as a friend, you like and accept him the way he is - which is very special, btw. You're a very caring friend.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi welcome x it is lovely of you to be such a good friend ,i think just keep being there for him and he will relaise in the end you do want to help and to be his friend
thank you for caring about him so much ,it gives me faith that there are very good people in the world
love Lu x

jajingna

jajingna

Sounds like you're doing a good job already.

D

Dispatch

A friend of mine has a terrible social phobia, and I want to help him overcome it. A psychiatrist is already treating him, but I'd like to have contact with him at school.

However, he doubts very much that I really want to help him and that I like his company. He is afraid of disappointing me so much by embarrassing himself that I will never want to see him again. Besides, he thinks that I just want to spend time with him to not hurt his feelings, and I don't really appreciate him because he is so clumsy and timid.

as a sufferer of social anxiety, when you wrote about his being afraid of disappointing you , that’s key. My advice is to reassure him that whatever he does won’t be disappointing to you. For him to open up and tell you about his fear of disappointing you actually means he is very fond of you and wants to be your friend very much. If you can gain his trust, you’ll have a friend for life.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Time. If you dont bail out and stick with him the bond will form. It takes a long time for people like your friend to build up that trust. Believe me ive been there and been let down.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

All my pals bailed on me. Thats no good. Stick with your friend. The more he trust you the more he will come out his shell when you are there. He is going to lean on you alot in social situations but go with it fella. You will have a friend for life if you help him out now.