• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How can I help my brother who is suffering from mental health issues

J

jonathancruik

Hey everyone,

THis is my first post and I am very new to this, and simply looking for advice and help. Here is my story:

For approximaelty two years my brother has been suffering from hair loss, due to a lot of stress in uni. He started picking his hair, and it as at the stage now where he started taking medication to stop the hair loss. As a result of all of this he has become very depressed and malicious at the same time. What I mean by that is that he messages my mother all night, how much he despises her and how it is all her and my dad's fault for never taking his problems serious etc. They have been trying to support him as best as they can and have taken him to doctors etc. My mother suggested going to see a psycologist or therapist and he lost it completely, shouting at her telling her he is not 'crazy'. My parents have physically and mentally ages 10 years in the last two years, and even though I know I shouldn't be I am so angry at my brother. I understand it is not his fault, but I just feel bad for my parents. I also live abroad so I rarely see everyone, anyway. I haven't properly spoken to my brother even since this started. Every time I messaged him or called him he would decline. I am also currently blocked everywhere and he told me to never talk to him again. At this point my anger just turned into sadness, I just want my brother back, especially with christmas coming up. Does anyone have advice or has had a smiliar experience with a loved one?

Thank you if you have read this far... Have a blessed day
J

calypso

calypso

Admin
:welcome: to the forum. If there is nothing your brother will accept as help then there is nothing anyone can do. He has to want the help in the first place. You could try messaging him and not expect a reply but maybe he would at least read it.

You could try something along the lines of:

I love you and want you in my life as my brother whether you know this or not. What you are doing to yourself with your hair is part of a wider problem and I understand how it might feel to be so upset all the time. Whoever may ornmay not be at fault is not the issue here, its about making life better for you from now on. I care deeply about you and want you to respond but if you don't, I will understand.

Or something like that in your own words. I know you said he had stopped all emails etc from you, but can something get through? If you know where he lives, you could always try an old fashioned letter to him. Most people open letters out of curiousity. I wish you all the best in the future.