• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How can I force a manic or hypomanic episode? (i know this seems irresponsible)?

K

KittyKat123

How can I force a manic or hypomanic episode? (i know this seems irresponsible)?

Ok so I used to get this amazing happy feeling. It was like I was all light, I could literally feel the happiness inside me, I felt I could conquer the world if i wanted, that nothing could stop me and that I would be happy forever. At this time, Id have loads of confidence and id be quite irresponsibe and really impulsive. The only way I can describe it is like a HUGE headrush that would last hours to days.It was so much fun, i mean, yeah i did stupid things, but its amazing to have absolutely nothing to hold you back, and no responsibilities. However, I used to get downs to match these, but they didnt last long.

After doing something very very stupid while on a downer, (self harmed) I was taken into hospital where I was told I had Bi-polar disorder. I was given quetiapine to try and stabalize my mood (started at 25mg, went up to 200mg). However, that just made me feel extremely depressed and feel numbness inside, so I stopped taking it (while I was in the hospital, my psychs know im not on it). I have 3 psychs and they all said diff things, One said I deff have bipolar, one said theyre not sure if I do or not and my other one said i dont =S.

Anyway im home now and have been off my meds for about a month. I havent had my emotions as intense as before though. I miss my highs :( How can I get them back? Please help, i dont feel like me without my dramatic emotions :(

thanks x

A

Apotheosis

It's difficult.

In the early days; some aspects of mental illness (I don't like calling it that) - were enjoyable.

Meds shut us down, & they can have a permanent effect.

How do we get the good stuff - without the bad & boring stuff? Simple answer - I don't think we can. Not in this life anyway.

How I tend to look at all this now; is that the genuine meaning & power of these experiences - is in bringing ourselves back to an ordinary state. Some of us have been to some very far out places. Those states; those experiences are still a part of us; we have not lost anything. Over the years; the periods of illness for me became harder & harder to bear; until there was nothing I really enjoyed in them. It is complex, because we live in a society, that largely denies, limits, controls, & suppresses people experiencing such states. The ideal, I think; is that people experiencing such things, should be freely & comprehensively supported in experiencing such things, & their experiences acknowledged & allowed - instead of the usual of drugging people up. These states are not all bad.

Something that I have personally found helpful, is to explore Jungian psychology; the Trans-personal, & the psycho-spiritual. & I have explored, & continue to do so; spirituality & esoteric matters.

It doesn't have to be anything complex. There are a number of ways of altering the way that we feel in healthy, balanced & beneficial ways. I have found the practise of Reiki to be very therapeutic, & also certain meditation techniques; but there are also other practices that produce similar effects, such as yoga, & others. A lot of these types of practises have a cumulative effect; & take considerable time, focus, & work to produce results. But they can bring a balanced & deeper perspective on our experience.

Although it may seem like you have lost something, or had a special experience taken from you. It may well be that in the future you may see things differently; that there is meaning & growth in the more mundane experiences, & that you find a balance with negative; as well as what you perceive as positive aspects in your life.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pBQ-S6njQQw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pBQ-S6njQQw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

H

Happychappy

Ying and Yang, those highs come at a price (the lows) as someone who was diagnosed a long time ago - if you've got stability, trust me, hand on to it !