• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How can I ever escape voices?

cartoonhero

cartoonhero

I've been hearing them for a number of years now. Antipsychotic medications due make them less intense but I still hear them all the same. I have learned to put up with it as just another positive symptom of my schizophrenia, but is there a way to be free of them, if not permanently, then for a more lengthy period of time? I have written blogs about what they have said as a way of making them more visual to the world.

Its funny seeing how people who do not hear voices cope when suddenly they are confronted with it. I went to a mental health conference last year where people had to listen to pre-recorded "voices" on an mp3 player and perform tasks while listening to the voices. Most people could not concentrate and were deeply disturbed and uncomfortable. It was like "welcome to my world folks!" for me.

I am currently seeing a psychologist to help me deal with hearing voices but of course this does not eliminate the problem. I have been on so many different antipsychotics that I wonder if I will ever find the right one for me (I've been on largactil, neulactil, zyprexa, risperidone, stelazine and now seroquel).

Has anyone got any suggestions??

D

Dollit

I'm glad it helps - one of our admin is involved in that and he gave me the link a while ago.

W

WishUponAStar

what should i do?

Hi everyone, i registered this forum to try to understand more about mental health issue. Though it is not happening with me, my sister is going through this pacth. I am very concerned about her. I want to understand her more.

I am studying in Europe. My family is in Asia. My sister is there too. My interaction just now sadly is just limited to online chat in msn and phone calls. She always sound so depressed and dellusioned. She tells me that people are stalking her 24 hours. She can hear voices telling her what not things. Her thoughts seem to be racing at very high speed because one time she talk about something and next she jumps to another topics which are utterly nonsensical to me but is real to her. I tried to calm her by saying not to listen to those voices but to get a grip. When i tell her what she is going through is not real, she gets angry and accuses me of not being any help to her. She talks about how she is going to inherit million dollar fortune and how everyone is stalking her for the money. she seem to have lost grip of reality. And it breaks my heart everytime she ask me in between..if her life will be back to normal ever again. All i could tell her is to be strong and i feel so helpless.

To tell you about my sister, she is 25 years old. She had been very chirpy, caring, very sensitive and funny girl. She was hardworking as a student and popular amongst her peer and use to be appreciated and loved by her teachers and friends. We as her family member had been always proud of her and will always be no matter what. Then, her life suddenly took such turn about a year back. It was not major though. I just thought since she got into work and all, she is bit stressed. I use to talk to her to take things lightly. Then i have to come to europe for my studies. Now her situation seem to be getting worse. I can make out from the way she chat with me online and on phone.

I am so worried that she might harm herself or others in such state of mind. She refuses to take my advise to see a psychatriat. She says nothing is wrong with her. How do i deal with it? Please can someone advise me on that? It tears me apart seeing what she is going through.

D

Dollit

Try the link that's posted a little further up from here. If your sister won't be helped there isn't a lot you can do. Try and get some help for yourself. On the front page to the forum there is a tab you can click and there are names of organizations and phone numbers in there.

Welcome to the forum and keep coming back.

W

WishUponAStar

Try the link that's posted a little further up from here. If your sister won't be helped there isn't a lot you can do. Try and get some help for yourself. On the front page to the forum there is a tab you can click and there are names of organizations and phone numbers in there.

Welcome to the forum and keep coming back.
Thanks. I appreciate your help.