• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How can I be okay with being alone?

• Thread starter Irrationallyrational
  • Start date
I

Irrationallyrational

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I've been so up and down recently and today it's just made me stop, think and reevaluate my life.
I've realised I need to be okay with my own company, with my own mind. But how do I do this? I've spent the last 4 years being with someone almost every day and I've realised my biggest problem is I just don't know how to be alone. And how to be okay with being alone.

What can I do to be okay with this??

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello irrationallyrational. This is something I worked on with my therapist. What I had to do was, not do anything. My first reaction when feeling bad is to do something. She said I have to learn how to accept feeling bad and acknowledge it. By trying to get rid of it all the time I never really deal with it. As you have posted this in the bpd section I am guessing you struggle to be alone due to the sadness and emotional pain you feel. Maybe you can take time to find out if there are things you like to do? Things you can do alone such as read, have a bubble bath, grow a plant. I am sure there will be something you may like to do. It is good to have solo interests for when we are alone.

B

beautywithin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I didn't want to read and leave, as I don't mind been alone I like my own company and when im slipping this is how I heal. I also have solo hobbies, working out, drawing, reading and ohhh a good series, sending love x

I

Irrationallyrational

Hello irrationallyrational. This is something I worked on with my therapist. What I had to do was, not do anything. My first reaction when feeling bad is to do something. She said I have to learn how to accept feeling bad and acknowledge it. By trying to get rid of it all the time I never really deal with it. As you have posted this in the bpd section I am guessing you struggle to be alone due to the sadness and emotional pain you feel. Maybe you can take time to find out if there are things you like to do? Things you can do alone such as read, have a bubble bath, grow a plant. I am sure there will be something you may like to do. It is good to have solo interests for when we are alone.
Hello,

Thank you for your message and advice! Yes with my BPD I just struggle to be okay with accepting every thought that comes into my head. I just hate doing things alone and it makes me feel so stupid as I'm 25, I should be okay with this!!

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello,

Thank you for your message and advice! Yes with my BPD I just struggle to be okay with accepting every thought that comes into my head. I just hate doing things alone and it makes me feel so stupid as I'm 25, I should be okay with this!!
You are putting pressure on yourself by using the word 'should'. You have never been alone so why should you be okay with something that is all new to you? There is no right or wrong way to feel. Having emotional pain is a constant and we will do anything to distract us. Being alone means the pain is more real so I can understand why you are finding it difficult to be alone.

irwin

irwin

I've spent a lot of my life alone. I've been with someone for the past 15 years or so and like sharing my life with someone. I don't think I could handle living alone again. I'd probably never get out of bed.

Wolf359

Wolf359

I think "okay with being alone" is a good idea but only to a degree.

One can be capable of being alone, but one doesn't have to like it.

There's a youtube video, "Why Are We So Lonely? - Glad You Asked S1", around the 12-minute mark they talk about how it's an evolutionary thing, humans are made to not like being alone. Why? Because it's not good for you.

There's also research showing that elderly single people die earlier than the married ones.

So I think the healthier position is being able to deal with being alone when you have to, and not liking it, and seeking supportive connection.

Just my POV.