• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How can I be less abrasive toward others?

KaoticKiss

KaoticKiss

I have been told that I’m too abrasive in social situations. I guess I use my aggressive words as a sort of metaphysical armor to keep from being too open and vulnerable, and thus avoid being hurt. However I wind up putting others on a defensive stance and they don’t want to engage with me socially and I wind up alone and hurt anyways. I use words like “What do you mean?” And “What exactly is going on?” in demanding tones, thus coming across as confrontational. I want to change this and yet, still hold on to a little bit of that “armor” to keep from feeling too exposed. What is the best way to soften my exterior but not be too vulnerable and risk too much?

EdEd

EdEd

Learning to control how you feel and what emotions you experience is the best type of armor ... if you don't let things offend or hurt you then that usually works... it does for me.. people usually don't try an hurt me though..

KaoticKiss

KaoticKiss

Learning to control how you feel and what emotions you experience is the best type of armor ... if you don't let things offend or hurt you then that usually works... it does for me.. people usually don't try an hurt me though..
What do I need to do to learn how to control my emotions? I’m a very emotional and sensitive person. Is this something a therapist can help me with?