• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

how best to organise joint debts after break up?

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hiya I was never married but our bank accounts and all debts bar one credit card are joint .
Has anyone got experience of what's best to do?
I would rather avoid the stress of getting legal advice if possible but I think in terms of the mortgage it would have to be threw them legal types? I assume you have to pay them to?
Many thanks x

nonotme

nonotme

Hiya I was never married but our bank accounts and all debts bar one credit card are joint .
as far as I know, joint debts are just that, joint. You are liable for them and if they can't chase both of you they will chase one person for the whole sum (this happened to me)

you need to get proper legal advice. and soon.

Cab is the best place to start, are the debts huge? chances of paying them off?

all have to be considered, was your house rented or were you home owners?

sorry so many questions, but you have to get this sorted ASAP if not your credit will be busted and they will spiral with interest and charges (been there, have the debts to prove it)

please seek help tomorrow at the latest.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Weve had a mortgage since July 07
Yes lots of debts, one loan was 18000 for his van
Cc is almost 3000
Another loan about 5000
Dont know how much is left on any bar the mortgage theres only about 118000 on that left pmsl omg :cry2: but I believe were out of negative equity now atleast!! Eeeeeeeeek I asked him to go cab on the 13 and he said he had loads of forms then I find out today the forms were nothing to do with sorting them out. I put the 5% deposit on the house too and thats write in the DooDahs but I dont care about that as long as theres a safe roof over my sons head.
I just dont feel like talking people. I can't do it at the best of times. I will beg him.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Find a lawyer and try to write a list of all the assets owned jointly, debts and income to take in with you when you meet them. It's the best way. He can help you come to a fair settlement. I don't know if they have legal aid in UK but if they do the shelter's often have a list of lawyers you can call who will do it probono or that are government paid for you to have access to legal assistance. Don't put it off, you should do this as soon as possible.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I know I just dont think I can :( i hate being grown up

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I got a care coordinator.... Shes not sure either though. Will have to tell him to go a lawyer. I just can't face it, I'm already on the edge sorry :(

Gajolene

Gajolene

You have to do it too hun, you need to protect yourself. Even if hubby says it will all be fair, you can't guarantee he won't try to strap you with all the debts once he gets ahold of his lawyer or that his laywer will talk him into doing that.. His lawyer will only look out for his best interest, and won't give a rats ass anything for yours. You HAVE to do this, you know that. It sucks, it really really sucks, but you'll feel better once you've had a consultation. It's not something that takes care of itself. Please protect yourself and get it done.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I wish I could but right now I have to focus all my energy on staying safe sorry I'm spiralling down and want very much to die thinking about it all