• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How Are You Guys Doing Financially/Professionally?

I

IsaD

Hi, I've been trying to get on my feet for a while, but I don't seem to hold a job for long. Also, it seems like when I read up on schizophrenia, everyone says that a really low percentage of schizophrenics are gainfully employed. It's kind of depressing. Is that the reality?
How are you guys doing financially/professionally?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I work, yes. In the tech sector for healthcare. I am actually on a low salary but my skills are worth a pretty penny.

But you know what, I have a 7 year gap on my CV, and it inevitably comes out that I have a MH condition - and just so hard to find a job. People don't seem to like it. It is discrimination, but it is hard to prove.

Actually i am bored at my current workplace, since they do not value me enough. I am highly intelligent in an unorthodox way. I sometimes struggle to say what i mean, but I can get the job done.

I

IsaD

I work, yes. In the tech sector for healthcare. I am actually on a low salary but my skills are worth a pretty penny.

But you know what, I have a 7 year gap on my CV, and it inevitably comes out that I have a MH condition - and just so hard to find a job. People don't seem to like it. It is discrimination, but it is hard to prove.

Actually i am bored at my current workplace, since they do not value me enough. I am highly intelligent in an unorthodox way. I sometimes struggle to say what i mean, but I can get the job done.
It's good to hear that you're employed and doing well. I have had trouble finding something I'm good at that pays, especially with my negative symptoms.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

It's good to hear that you're employed and doing well. I have had trouble finding something I'm good at that pays, especially with my negative symptoms.
Sometimes you need to be a little creative. Saying that, there is no shame in claiming benefits as a schizophrenic.

N

natalie

Hi IsaD,

Temporarily, owing to the London Lockdown for England UK, I can't be called up on for volunteering groan.

Howerver, I workout in fitness on a regular frequent basis, to my fitness dvds, and I'll listen to musicals and music and knitting combined.

I think its the question of searching for the right employer, who woudl have your mental health case, at heart.

I thnk Lord Burt is right, claim or apply for benefits, and might have to be ce reative. I have been claiming medical benefits for years as I can't not very much work, although I do volunteering, on the odd occasion, or every so often. I am registered to be required in, from organisations inwhich I help for volunteering, off course, temporarily, there's no work or volunteering at the present time owing to the lockdown, annoyingly.

Nice to meet you, I'm Natalie in London, and I am regularly logged on to MHF, unless offline I am out for part of the day volunteering in my charitible sector.

Have a good day,

Best regards.

I

IsaD

Hi IsaD,

Temporarily, owing to the London Lockdown for England UK, I can't be called up on for volunteering groan.

Howerver, I workout in fitness on a regular frequent basis, to my fitness dvds, and I'll listen to musicals and music and knitting combined.

I think its the question of searching for the right employer, who woudl have your mental health case, at heart.

I thnk Lord Burt is right, claim or apply for benefits, and might have to be ce reative. I have been claiming medical benefits for years as I can't not very much work, although I do volunteering, on the odd occasion, or every so often. I am registered to be required in, from organisations inwhich I help for volunteering, off course, temporarily, there's no work or volunteering at the present time owing to the lockdown, annoyingly.

Nice to meet you, I'm Natalie in London, and I am regularly logged on to MHF, unless offline I am out for part of the day volunteering in my charitible sector.

Have a good day,

Best regards.
Hi Natalie, It's nice to meet you too. I've been trying to come up with creative ideas, but I'm not that talented... I hope I manage to get it together. I guess I can apply for benefits, I'd just really like to work..

ht46

ht46

I haven't had job in 8 years I tried washing dishes a few years back but I was to sedated and people were rude to me so it put me off. I sell my paintings now and then have done some pet portraits so would like to enter that game.

I

IsaD

I haven't had job in 8 years I tried washing dishes a few years back but I was to sedated and people were rude to me so it put me off. I sell my paintings now and then have done some pet portraits so would like to enter that game.
It can be hard out there, but it's cool that you're using your talent to sell your artwork. I would like to get to the point where I can sell artwork, but I don't think I'm there yet.

ht46

ht46

It can be hard out there, but it's cool that you're using your talent to sell your artwork. I would like to get to the point where I can sell artwork, but I don't think I'm there yet.
Thanks. If you would like any help or advice feel free to contact me it's a learning process that never ends.

L

Lab rat

I’m an engineer by trade, since getting made redundant in March because of the corona I have been keeping my skills up to date and polishing new ones. Getting a job is not a problem. I had an interview last week, but ultimately had to turn it down. You see, because I’ve spent 3 months at home, my mental health has taken a nose dive. I’m not capable of working at the minute.

I don’t intend staying at home on benefits for long. If they stopped chopping and changing my meds it might help. Working is good for my mh, but I’m just not well enough right now and I feel that I need part time to ease me back into it. Before going back full time. And it’s a lot harder getting a part time job.

I mean, the latest one is that they changed chlorpromazine to haloperidol, then back to chlorpromazine then to aripriprazole which keeps going up and up. All since March 11th. Even the gp can’t keep up with all my med changes, I had my yearly review this morning and they still thought I was on haloperidol! It’s no wonder with all the changes that my mh suffers! I’m on 10mg ari (along with 20mgolanzapine Which thankfully doesn’t change) but the aripriprazole is making me big time nauseous, so it looks like another change is on the horizon

K

karl7

i havent worked in 23 yrs, imm 44 now.....if i had to go back to work i would chpoose something not stressful.....i wouldnt want to go back to university I dropped out twice already at 18 and 20.....if i was to work i would choose either a security guard or maybe work for the council emptying bins or something like that or maybe do gardening....as i said i want less stress

i used to work as a security guard and the money was so easy, you could do a 60 hr week with no stress......and you could spend half your time messing about on a smartphobne

On Fire

On Fire

I’m an engineer by trade, since getting made redundant in March because of the corona I have been keeping my skills up to date and polishing new ones. Getting a job is not a problem. I had an interview last week, but ultimately had to turn it down. You see, because I’ve spent 3 months at home, my mental health has taken a nose dive. I’m not capable of working at the minute.

I don’t intend staying at home on benefits for long. If they stopped chopping and changing my meds it might help. Working is good for my mh, but I’m just not well enough right now and I feel that I need part time to ease me back into it. Before going back full time. And it’s a lot harder getting a part time job.

I mean, the latest one is that they changed chlorpromazine to haloperidol, then back to chlorpromazine then to aripriprazole which keeps going up and up. All since March 11th. Even the gp can’t keep up with all my med changes, I had my yearly review this morning and they still thought I was on haloperidol! It’s no wonder with all the changes that my mh suffers! I’m on 10mg ari (along with 20mgolanzapine Which thankfully doesn’t change) but the aripriprazole is making me big time nauseous, so it looks like another change is on the horizon
I find Aripiprazole is definitely more effective at 15mg/day rather than 10mg/day. Also I don't think the side effects get any worse, if anything I had the worst nausea just after starting Aripiprazole on 5mg/day.
Aripiprazole is a really good medication if you can get past the initial side effects (they tend to go off with time).