• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How are you feeling right now? (mental health related)

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Like I've been in a cement mixer all night

Bellaone

Bellaone

I feel like I’m going to explode into many directions. It would probably be inwards. 💥

D

DD040894

I am thinking that my doctor made me too scared only because of new antidepressant that I take in evening. It is actually really low dose of 25 mg of maprotiline(I have just read that doses are up to 150mg, or even 225mg probably in hospital). She told me to do ECG, laboratory tests, that I may have suicidal moments on that med(actually that for people who are unstable that med may make them even more unstable and that we may need to increase antipsychotic or mood stabilizator).

Now I feel so scared about that minimal dose of maprotiline and I started to connect every problem possible with it.I am just expecting to be unstable, to have suicidal moments, to have serious side effects and I blame doctor for making me so scared that I am reacting psychologically and psychosomatically(high anxiety, pain in stomach, feeling of pressure, being scared of next thing happenning).

My question is: Why the hell are some doctors here more easily prescribing high doses of antipsychotics than antidepressants, even though antipsychotics have much more serious side effects? Is it like that in your countires?
Btw I have major depression, not psychosis. Despite that I was taking 20mg olanzapine(maximal dosage)! for months! And it did NOTHING good for me, only it made me gain 60 pounds in a first month of using it. I am seriously mad.

Z

Zoe1

DD040894

maybe you could ask for more of an explanation
sometimes we can't see how we are getting unwell
I know that happens with me

I hope you and the doctors can some to some understanding

bpd2020

bpd2020

maprotiline
I am thinking that my doctor made me too scared only because of new antidepressant that I take in evening. It is actually really low dose of 25 mg of maprotiline(I have just read that doses are up to 150mg, or even 225mg probably in hospital). She told me to do ECG, laboratory tests, that I may have suicidal moments on that med(actually that for people who are unstable that med may make them even more unstable and that we may need to increase antipsychotic or mood stabilizator).

Now I feel so scared about that minimal dose of maprotiline and I started to connect every problem possible with it.I am just expecting to be unstable, to have suicidal moments, to have serious side effects and I blame doctor for making me so scared that I am reacting psychologically and psychosomatically(high anxiety, pain in stomach, feeling of pressure, being scared of next thing happenning).

My question is: Why the hell are some doctors here more easily prescribing high doses of antipsychotics than antidepressants, even though antipsychotics have much more serious side effects? Is it like that in your countires?
Btw I have major depression, not psychosis. Despite that I was taking 20mg olanzapine(maximal dosage)! for months! And it did NOTHING good for me, only it made me gain 60 pounds in a first month of using it. I am seriously mad.
I have not heard of that medication. I looked it up and the side effects seem to be the usual, common ones and nothing as serious as your doctor suggested. It seems this medication was discontinued here in 2006. I really hope it helps you. You have not been very well recently so maybe you have a bug and it is not the medication causing things.