• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How am I suppose present when seeing a psychiatrist

I

Ifonly

I'm not a very good writer, but I'll try to explain my situation. I have for a long time had terrible depression, even to the point I find it hard to motivate myself and do everyday things. Sometimes this has led me to not even want to get out of bed for days. I have really low depression at times and really irritable depression, which is a nightmare and has led to self harm and overdoses at times. The problem is, I'm left confused after visiting psychiatrists and seeing what they have written about me.

Even when I am feeling at my worst, I feel I have to make the effort to wash and tidy myself up for an appointment to see them. I don't really want to do this due to how I'm feeling and it is not something I do at home when feeling really low, but they don't see what I'm going through at home and what I experience, so I present as if I'm coping when I'm really not. The thing is they don't seem to ask if I am always tidy and things though.

I

Ifonly

Sorry, I forgot to add this.

Also, if I tell them what I'm experiencing during depression, which are voices and other unusual things at times, they just seem to dismiss this because I'm not experiencing the things at that moment in time. So some of these experiences I have are not even explained to me. I have been told I have some type of mood disorder, or even personality disorder and anxiety, but looking at my notes it reads like I'm coping when I'm really not. I'm not sure what to make of this, so any feedback would be appreciated. I will add that I have been in touch with the crisis team recently and even though I'm not sure what they write about me, they do seem to have a better understanding of what I'm experiencing while I'm at home feeling like this.

M

ManDss

First Ill talk about this with the psych, "why do you write this ? This is not accurate".

The voices, its quite hard to tell, theres a difference between "I have thoughts of voices saying" and "auditort hallucinations due psychosis". But tell them you want to know more about this.

Are u independent to change of psych ? Tell them "I dont think you are answeeing my questions, Im thinking to change of Dr".

I

Ifonly

First Ill talk about this with the psych, "why do you write this ? This is not accurate".

The voices, its quite hard to tell, theres a difference between "I have thoughts of voices saying" and "auditort hallucinations due psychosis". But tell them you want to know more about this.

Are u independent to change of psych ? Tell them "I dont think you are answeeing my questions, Im thinking to change of Dr".

My depression really makes me lack confidence to say anything back to them, but I have a long history of things like self harm and experiencing unusual thoughts, which should tell them things are not right with me. I don't hear voices all the time, but I can hear things outside of my head and voices inside my head when things get bad. I just feel that some of these people are not there to help me and feel they create tension, which stops me opening up to them about things.

I asked to speak to a psychiatrist alone last time because I felt it would be easier for me to speak and open up, but they had someone else sat in just to the back of me and it made me feel paranoid. I'm not sure why they would do this when I told them it would be difficult for me. There are other things to, like if I'm unable to attend an appointment due the way I'm feeling, they just make it clear I'm wasting their time, instead of trying to understanding why I hadn't attended due to how I was feeling at the time. I know they are not there to be a friend to me, but I just don't feel they put me at ease at all. Thank you for your reply.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Maybe you are coping better than you think? It's hard for me to tell from the glimpse of your life. Can you tell me some things you do during one of your good days?

they just seem to dismiss this because I'm not experiencing the things at that moment in time.
I take it your mood and your symptoms are different depending on if you're alone at home or when you're away from home?
Presenting oneself very nicely, looking quite well when meeting with medical professionals is a very normal tactic for we who have mental illnesses.

I'm not sure what they write about me, they do seem to have a better understanding of what I'm experiencing while I'm at home feeling like this.
Can they share their notes with the rest of your care team--psychiatrist, therapist, or can you obtain copies?

You always have one way to cut through the emotions holding you back from telling your psych team what's up: anger. Getting mad.

jajingna

jajingna

You get to see what the psychiatrist has written about you? Hmm, I've never seen any doc notes. Just they might look at the computer screen I'm guessing for history and meds taken.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I'm not a very good writer, but I'll try to explain my situation. I have for a long time had terrible depression, even to the point I find it hard to motivate myself and do everyday things. Sometimes this has led me to not even want to get out of bed for days. I have really low depression at times and really irritable depression, which is a nightmare and has led to self harm and overdoses at times. The problem is, I'm left confused after visiting psychiatrists and seeing what they have written about me.

Even when I am feeling at my worst, I feel I have to make the effort to wash and tidy myself up for an appointment to see them. I don't really want to do this due to how I'm feeling and it is not something I do at home when feeling really low, but they don't see what I'm going through at home and what I experience, so I present as if I'm coping when I'm really not. The thing is they don't seem to ask if I am always tidy and things though.
You should go into it open and honest. Nothing more nothing less.

I

Ifonly

Thanks for the replies. I got my notes because I have been feeling up and down for so long that I requested them. The psychiatrist was very vague about what's wrong with me when I attended appointments and didn't really bother to explain things to me. I was just placed on Antipsychotic medication and Antidepressants. I was then told to have a follow up a few weeks after taking the medication with one of their team. When the 3 weeks were up, I went back and they asked me how I was getting on with the tablets. I told them I hadn't even started them because I wasn't sure why I was being given them. They then discharged me back to my GP doctor and recommend I take the tablets.

My appointments usually took about 3 weeks and if I was feeling low, I still presented looking better than I was. I have fluctuating moods that range from going really down low to becoming very agitated. In between those two moods I have long periods of just feeling emotionless like a numbing feeling. At appointments they would ask things like what my concentration was like, so I would answer and say it's not good at times. Then in the notes I saw it would say concentration no problem. So basically some things I told them about, it was just written as no problem with concentration etc. Had the notes said my concentration wasn't good at times, I might have understood them better because that's what I told them. Having spoken to the crisis team, they have spoken about my moods being very mixed.

B

bluntbanana

Sounds familiar to myself in terms of your experiences (Except the hallucinations). Have you been diagnosed with any Psychotic type disorder Like psychosis which is commonly used in the UK now.

I go from being confident and presenting as a pretty strong capable guy, to being totally immobile in my bed for multiple days, 1 meal a day and sleeping lots and lots. Largely due to motivational problems but also due to chest pain, potentially related to anxiety. Only saying this as you might beable to relate a bit, which can be reassuring.

I've felt that sometimes my opinions and statements haven't been recorded accurately and sometimes that can be quite unpleasant to listen to and hearback. I don't think psychiatrists are always that great and recording the picture accurately, they are selective in their listening, which might be just due to the nature of the job they do, I don't know.

There mainly listening out for keywords in my opinion and don't take in the whole picture as your just another patient to them.

It really depends on your psychiatrist though, currently I have a pretty good psychiatrist, but after reading this I do want to request my notes to see if she's as good as she presents.

About the appearance and how you present, I'm the same, I've spend 2 days without a shower and brushing my teeth intermittently (Trampy I know) because I have 0 motivation to do so, yet I shower and present to my psychiatrist as a totally normal, sometimes confident, and outgoing person.

If you feel your opinion isn't being received properly, request a new psychiatrist, if it helps, write what you want prior to meeting down on a piece of paper and give it to the psychiatrist or nurse. Then you've started the conversation and can at least engage with someone about your actual desires and intentions.

Hope this helps.

I

Ifonly

Just to add. They even said deppression not detected on the notes from the appointment, but I'm just not sure if they are talking about me at the appointment and forgeting about the person I am in life away from the appointment. Other notes like my GP notes say severe deppression etc. So it's just a bit confusing to me all this. Not sure why they want to give me antidepressants if they write deppression not detected.

B

bluntbanana

Just to note aswell, from your title, I got lost in the post.

Your not suppose to present in anyway. You turn up ideally how you feel at the time, but thats not always the case and you can feel terrible and look fine.

EDIT: Don't analyse the notes so much, seems a bit confusing and it's probably best to avoid reading them if it's causing you to feel the way you are.

I

Ifonly

@bluntbanana - Psychosis has been mentioned by my GP, but the psychiatrist list Paranoid idea's, I think. Just not sure what to make of it all really, but the Crisis team seems to be good and supporting me. Thanks.

I

Ifonly

Yes, it might be a mistake asking for my notes. I agree, it just leads to confusion reading stuff like this.

Ruma55

Ruma55

Sorry, I forgot to add this.

Also, if I tell them what I'm experiencing during depression, which are voices and other unusual things at times, they just seem to dismiss this because I'm not experiencing the things at that moment in time. So some of these experiences I have are not even explained to me. I have been told I have some type of mood disorder, or even personality disorder and anxiety, but looking at my notes it reads like I'm coping when I'm really not. I'm not sure what to make of this, so any feedback would be appreciated. I will add that I have been in touch with the crisis team recently and even though I'm not sure what they write about me, they do seem to have a better understanding of what I'm experiencing while I'm at home feeling like this.
In the beginning I had problems with this too- you’re so used to acting like everything is ok when it’s not, it’s hard to turn that off when seeing the doctor. You should go into the doctor looking how you feel and how you are dressed, showered, etc. on a bad day. I think it’s easier for them to understand the severity of how you’re feeling if they can see it too. It’s also important to stress to them anything that’s bothering you- you almost have to exaggerate in my experience. If you’re calling crisis centers you need to tell them about that also. If they’re still ignoring the severity of your symptoms you may need to start searching for a new doctor.

I

Ifonly

@Ruma55 - Thanks, it's not good to hear other people go through this, but it's good to know I'm not the only one this has happened to, if that makes sense.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Connorisnotokay Depression Forum 11
L Depression Forum 11