• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Housing.

M

maudikie

What provision is to be made for those with severe and enduring mental illness 9not drug or alcohol addiction) See ePolitix.co.uk

D

Dollit

Maudikie - first this is just a link to a huge site with no clue as to where to look. Also why is it specifically in Bristol? You don't actually live in Bristol so I don't suppose you're even aware of the housing situation here? I appreciate that you're trying to raise awareness to something but what is it?

M

maudikie

I am not aware of the housing situation in Bristol in particular. I am perhpas aware of the National problem.
Some years ago I nursed in the slums of Birmingham, so am aware of some of the condition in which people "live". It is my opinion that the tower blocks were disaster. Nothing has been thought out about the increase in population - indigenous and immigrant. At least when the mental hospitals were open the mentally ill had a roof over their head, though having seen the conditions in one of them they were pretty apalling particularly for the elderly. And certainly not eough staff. Now family life has in many cases broken up, with the younger people moving abroad (though no doubt housing anywhere is a problem)
I just thought that the more noise tht is made about conditions, THEY may begin to listen.

D

Dollit

If you want to talk about this then it should be in another part of the forum. The Bristol part is quiet and no one comes here. It won't open a debate in the quietest corner of the forum. If you are going to make an issue then it has to be on the grounds of mental health not a general housing issue debate - this is a mental health forum.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
To me housing and benefit issues are very important mental health isssues, i'd put them higher than day centres or CPNS

I can turn up at some mental health meeting and they'll discuss services no mention will be made of housing or benefits which is why i don't bother going

A friend of a Friend came out of hospital after been sectioned, they couldn't find her any housing she spent 6 months sleeping on friends floors

What housing there is is fulll of alkys and junkys, then you have the issue of people who are encouraged to come off drugs without support and get into difficulty, guess all my neighbours those in suburbia pay good money not to have as neighbours

M

maudikie

I agree with Rambo---- There is a shortge of housing everywhere in the country. But overcrowding is bad for mental health. Isn't it time thaat theGovernment got to grips with this situation? Why pull down all the terrace houses in the north of England when they could well be re-furbished at much less cost than new buildings. I don't know if this applies to Bristoll, but I imagine that all the large cities hae a similar problem. How many homeless are there in England, and in particular inthe South West? A large number of homes goto second house owners, and they pay anly a proportion of the council tax on the second home. Is this right?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Housing, it's not the property, since they've sold off the council housing theres a shortage of rented, only those wsith high needs reach the top of the register and are selected.

It makes for difficulties, i myself wouldn't want mentally ill people for neighbours, if someone refuses meds it gets difficult, it really winds me up when i complain and am told they're vulnerable, thats precisely why they should be taking meds and as one neighbour put it, if they're that ill they should be housed in that hostel down the road, i sound very snobbish, i know but i'm tired of the issue, those who judge me inevitably pay good money so as though by magic it doesn't happen to them

Letting off steam, my area a lot of people are getting desperate in the recession, just had someone cut through the chain on my moped then when they tryed to break the wheel lock they bent the handlebars, my neighbour wouldn't have noticed as he's on sleepers, annoying i haven't much money for repairs and don't know if it's worth it as i don't feel safe driving on meds

M

maudikie

Rambo.

Thanks for your opinion. However are you aware that the hospitals and hostels have been or are being closed? People with mental health problems are not all noisy. in fact the majority are quiet and retiring when they are receiving the proper treatment and medication. The trouble is that many have not the insight to recognise their illness, and feel ill on the medication they are given.
The people who have damaged your motor bike I suspect are not in the least mentally ill, just probably undisciplined and uncared for young people whose parents have lost control over their behaviour.
There are many mentally ill people who are living in the community but because of the stigma, such as that you appear to have, will not and do not speak of their illness. It is much more likely that those who make a nuisance of themselves are drug addicts or alcholics. They too can have treatment, but are more difficult to convince that treatment is needed.
I hope this will explain a little about those with severe and enduring mental illness who have not asked to be ill, or done anything to cause the illness.
I would suggest that if you cannot put up with the neighbourhood in which you live you apply to be moved to a different area. But please - do not blame the mentally ill for a condition which they cannot:) help, and which they would certainly not choose to have.
Best wishes. I hope you get sorted out.

D

Dollit

I do empathise with you Rambo. It's the people who shouldn't really be having "Care in the Community" that make life difficult through no fault of their own. I know you have difficulties where you live and that it's not easy to make the best of things when they're bad. Trouble is Rambo when we're functional we're expected to cope with minimal support and when we're ill we're asked why we didn't get help sooner. At least you can come and vent here.

Sorry about your moped - people just can't leave other people's stuff alone.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
The last guy i had upstairs, he was mentally ill but wouldn't take meds, his version was the dr had told him he had to come off illegal drugs before he could be prescribed legal ones, a friend called it a real catch 22.

Anyway i remember him forcing his way into my flat drunk, i didn't make an issue, i'd have been beaten up, i instaled one of those peep holes so i'd know who was at the door.

The new guy the one i call my paki neighbour as in the old jokes, he has people round all the time, my friend thinks he's a user, god knows how he affords all those take aways.

As one of my mentally ill friends puts it, he finds it annoying when people use mental illness as an excuse for bad behaviour, i think thats in effect making a link between mental illness and bad behaviour.

I'm mentaly ill myself, don't tell me about the loony problem, i know all about the loony problem

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I don't blame mentally ill people for damaging my moped though there is an argument whoever is involved has mental health issues and has refused to be diagnosed resulting in a low level of benefits forcing them into crime.

I do blame the off drugs brigade however for producing a fund of storys in the press that make me even more stigmatised resulting in me been housed in a bad area.

As far as rehousing goes, i had to move out of my last area, the social worker at the time said we've got no decent housing, i can keep been moved on but whats the point?

D

Dollit

I agree with you about the bad behaviour - unless we're certified insane we are responsible for the way we behave. It's hard sometimes and frustrating when people play the mental health card to excuse themselves but they contribute just as much to discrimination and stigmatization as those who don't know better.

M

maudikie

Rabo.

My sincere apologies if you thought I was having a go at you. Indeed I was not. So pax?!

Have you insurance on your motorbike? If so don't forget to use it,

I am a carer, Mum, and for over 30 years hae been fighting for better conditions for people with mental health issues. I don't feel I have had much sccess, but m sonanI gt on well. He does take his medication - after about the first five years of his condition. He also has a good broher and sister-in-law who are very good to him. I hope you have family members, and friends.
Sorry again if I was mis-understood - I was just mad that these young yobs get away with so much that makes others fearful.
Take care. Be good!!:hug:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
There used to be a sign at the NSF West Midlands "schitsoprenia is not deviancy" but a lot of people in extreme illness break the rules and a lot of people who break the rules are diagnosed,

I know when i am anxious that it's risky going out in public, i'm likely to break some unwritten rule and get picked on that could then make my anxiety worse and a loop would form until i reach crisis

M

maudikie

Rambo.

Hope you don't mind me calling you Rambo - I can never remember how to spell the rest!
I can understand your feelings about having a degree of fear of going out. I am sure you are not alone. I think that there is so much crime reported that may fully healthy people are fearful, never mind if they have a health problem or are old. We are lliving in an insecure world. There have been so many new rules and regulations that we ordinary people just can't keep up. And some of the things are very minor and merely a question of common sense. But I sometimes wonder if there is any common sense about. I also think that the lack of discipline for children has led to a lot of the bad behaviour we hear so much about these days.
I think that in spite of World war 2 I have been fortunate in living through a happy and comparatively easy time, until the materialism of the last couple of decades took over. I think sometimes of what I earned when I was doing my nursing training - £1 per month but I was also housed and kept fed. But we used to work about 60 hours a week and also do our studies on top of that.I don't think it has been good for so many to have been "pushed" to go to university. We need tradesen - brickies and carpenters and of course plumbers are at a premium.
But I won't say godnight on a dreary subject, I'll just tell you a couple of tales.
(QUOTE) Commenting on a complaint from Mr.purdy about a large gas bill
a spokesma for n/w /gas said " We agree it was rather high for the time of the year. It's possible that you have been charged for the gas used up during the explosion that destroyed your house" (The Daily Telegraph)

2. Irish Police are being handicapped in a search for a stolen van, because they cannot issue a description. It's a Special Branch Police vehicle and they don't want the public to know what it looks like! (The Guardian)

Hope you can now pop off to bed withthe giggles. :D