• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

housing benifit knowledge

D

Dibzy123

I'm looking at moving to a new area and for a few months will need to claim housing benefit. I'm looking to move into private rented accommodation. Once I've paid deposit etc how would I go about claiming this???

porkpie

porkpie

You can have housing benefit paid straight into your account so the landlord don't know your claiming benefits.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Dibzy123,

Your best bet would be either contacting or visiting the Housing Benefit Department of what will be your new local authority. If you do a search online for contact information, you might be able to email them, if easier. They'll be able to either give you or send out the correct claim forms and assist you as necessary.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm not sure how it works in other areas, but I think it's pretty standard to need to fill in a claim form and also have a face-to-face appointment with someone from the local council in order for the payments to start.
Contact the council that the new place you're going to live in covers, they will be able to advise and help you through the process.

D

Dibzy123

Thanks everyone. The only issue with a face to face meeting is that I'm moving from Romford,Essex to Cardiff in wales. So would prob need a phone interview??

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Thanks everyone. The only issue with a face to face meeting is that I'm moving from Romford,Essex to Cardiff in wales. So would prob need a phone interview??
Yeah, possibly.
Or they will see you when you eventually move.
It's easy to worry, but there is a lot of flexibility when you first claim housing benefit (especially as you have a deposit upfront).
They're bound to be accommodating and hopefully understanding of your situation.

Good luck with the move, by the way. It's stressful enough when you move somewhere local.