• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Housing benefit question

Screechout

Screechout

Hi I have a question and I'm wondering if anyone can help me at all with advice, I was planning on moving into a private 4 bed place and applying for housing benefit after I got the agreement but the estate agent messed up and is now saying the landlord won't have someone who is on universal credit but will have the other four on the contract. My question was is can you get housing benefit without being on the tenancy, the estate agent was willing to give me a letter saying I live there but I don't know if that is enough.
Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

W

*winofunk*

Hello Screechout. Good evening.

Sorry, I have only just seen this.

To be eligible for help to pay the rent, you need to be accepted as liable to pay rent. There is some information on providing evidence can be under section 4 here. It is guidance for landlords but it explains what can be accepted as evidence of liability to pay rent.

Would they definitely accept the letter as evidence, rather than a tenancy agreement, I do not know. Hopefully someone else can.

Enjoy your evening :)