• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Housing Benefit query

E

english rose

My friend is doing my head in, she's 45 & still lives with her mother in a council house where her mum is the sole tenant, she never left home (I parted with my mother at age 21 & I'm now 47 & have lived alone ever since), my friend despises her mum & constantly moans about how evil her mum is & how her mum is destroying her life, usually there are two sides to every story & I only have her side & don't get to hear her mum's side. I live in a studio flat & I am in the ESA Support Group so therefore I receive full HB. My friend works part-time, she is looking for a full-time job but for the moment she's just part-time, she was offered a full-time job but turned it down because the holiday entitlement was rigid ie she couldn't take time off at any time which would suit her; I have advised her to find a place to rent privately & claim HB - obviously she would not get her whole rent paid like what I do but she would get some HB as otherwise she could not afford to pay the rent, she says that she's not entitled to a proper flat but rather a room in a HMO (I can totally understand why she wouldn't want that), now I looked at this:
lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/bedroomcalculator.aspx & it clearly says that it's only people under the age of 35 that are restricted to a HMO, she says that over 35s can only get a proper flat if they submitted a claim before 2014. I suspect that she is addicted to the toxic living arrangement that she currently has, furthermore she believes that when her mum dies the council will offer her a one bedroom place - I think she's mistaken, she is not a joint tenant, but I reckon she's waiting for (and hoping that) her mum to die - but her mum is 72 & could live for another 20 years. She will not accept my advice & only wants my sympathy & I'm running out of it.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
She could ask her mum to put her name on the tenancy so they old be joint tenants and therefore entitled to a property should her mum die. But as you say her mum could be alive for another 20 years or more so it could be a long wait. Has she tried going to the council to say its intolerable for her to stay where she is and if she could get her mum to complain as well it could help. My friend is going thru a similar thing with her son (he is on the waiting list for a property) and she has said as soon the virus subsides she is going to go to the offices and say she will evict her son.

E

english rose

Her mum will not add her name to the tenancy - she has asked. I'm sure that the council would tell her to get a private rented place, an example of what this council is like: I registered for the housing waiting list in 1994, in 2011 they removed me from the list against my will stating that I would never be offered a place so therefore it was pointless me being on the list.

E

english rose

Basically I need confirmation/clarification on this over/under 35s thing, both of us are adamant we're right & only one of us can be right.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
theres the stated law and how councils with a housing crisis interpret it in practice, you could both be right