• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Housing and homelessness.

walkthroughtreacle

walkthroughtreacle

Hello all,

I work in this sector; so any questions please don't hesitate to ask. (y)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
alright one brent housing officer said people go on the housing list with diagnoseses of anxiety and depression and by the time they're housed it's running at schitzoprenia or bipolar and i'm not saying schitzoprenia is the same as depression

What about the policy by all sectors of leaving people to crisis point before doing anything, saying people aren't a priority and leaving them to become one

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i wish I hadn't read this.. .. I'm 'depressed' 'anxious' and currently in emergency accommodation

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
sorry i wasn't to know, i'd have worded it differently it's not destiny

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
not your fault really. :)

walkthroughtreacle

walkthroughtreacle

alright one brent housing officer said people go on the housing list with diagnoseses of anxiety and depression and by the time they're housed it's running at schitzoprenia or bipolar and i'm not saying schitzoprenia is the same as depression

What about the policy by all sectors of leaving people to crisis point before doing anything, saying people aren't a priority and leaving them to become one
I'm not sure I quite follow. That people are free to be on the housing register with some level of priority due to MH issues, but will only actually be rehoused if they have what the local authority deems as more 'severe' ones?

walkthroughtreacle

walkthroughtreacle

I'm not sure I quite follow. That people are free to be on the housing register with some level of priority due to MH issues, but will only actually be rehoused if they have what the local authority deems as more 'severe' ones?
But to your second paragraph: Yes, some local authorties will leave it to the last possible moment (bailiffs turning up) before housing people, especially in London. The practice is frowned upon by the government, but in reality it goes on all over the place. The reason, as with so many publicly funded services, comes down to cash. The lost of placing someone in emergency accommodation is horrendously expensive (up to £500 per week in places). Sadly, that takes priority most places over people.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am in emergency placed here last sunday didnt get an appointment with a housing officer til friday who then went hols for two weeks and I could have to foot my bill of staying here yet as I dont know the outcome of my case til she comes back. the system is shit!! that means I'm here in emergency another two weeks probably. and because the police have been too me twice, two 136s once more and I'm homeless!!
Oh and I'm not working or on benefits either so can't even afford to be here if I do have to pay

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
not your fault I know sorry

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my point is that people with mental health issues stress can exacerbate illness and people are left to that happens

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes stress is certainly a word id use when dealing with housing/homelessness.... Things are shit if youre in the system already and the *ahem* speed of which things are processed certainly exasperates the stress!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
unless you've got a proffessional to prioritise you usually because your under a section and they're legally required to housing etc is pretty shitty

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm not poorly enough for a section, I certainly wouldnt want one if I was either!!

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
72 hour police section, under mental health act. They deem you to be a risk to yourself x