• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Housing and Benefits

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I brought up the issue of housing and benefits on another thread, and how i consider it an important mental health issue, more important than CPNs or day centres.

The thread seems to have gone missing

I've brought it up again, testing

D

Dollit

What aspects of housing to you consider to be the most important Rambo?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I consider social housing and it's problems important, i also consider those hostels where your turned out in the morning to walk the streets disgusting, and i know people in that situation

The women upstairs, the water board changed it's debt collector and the new one had no record of the arrangement so they sent her a court order, i said "If we were in a hostel we wsouldn't have to pay water rates" she said "If your in a hostel you have to be in and out at set times". not that i'm grateful

D

Dollit

I've worked for homeless charities and we had people sleep rough rather than face the hostels. It says something when those most in need won't use them. A lot of homeless people that we had through our doors had mental health problems and a lot more were addicts. They weren't supposed to use on the premises but we were always finding old bags lying around.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I've never been homeless the most i cab manage is "Intentionally homeless" i can't even fit that box

I've moved around a lot, it takes a while for my notes to catch up, during which i'm not officially mentaly ill or sometimes i've made a bit of a recovery and don't count.

It's what in America they call "falling through the gap" where your neither fit for work or officially entitled to the welfare, they're be more off it now everyones copying America

You can easily become trapped in homeless charity, my last salvation army area was full of homeless people, everyone was complaining about harrassment and everyone was accused of harrassment, the housing assoc couldn't tackle it, they couldn't evict everyone

The mentally ill ex cons would refuse meds and terorise the area, they were finding that prison methods of survival were relevant to the estate, these methods worked well in the community were there was a burden of proof, requirement, before the authoritys could take action