• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hospital v Church chains v shamanism

BillFish

BillFish

My son came in from town at 4am this morning, and I stayed up for a few hours and watched this program on the bbc. It's about how the Ugandan's deal with their mentally ill. I've long been aware that the true picture of outcomes is rather more complicated in third world countries than the WHO would have us believe.Over the years I've listened to a few reports on radio four whilst preparing meals for the family in the kitchen, reports by BBC reporters delving into the village, city, and rural culture of African and Asian countries to produce striking reports from the reality on the ground of how the mentally are viewed and treated in those Countries.

I thought this was a fascinating insight into how the Ugandan experience the differing approaches to treatment etc. SAFE LINK BELOW TO THE BBC

BBC iPlayer - Our World - My Mad Uganda

Observe

Observe

Only plays in the UK and I can't find it on YouTube

Kerome

Kerome

Here's an article on the programme...

BBC News - Uganda, My Mad World

There's still a chance to see it on TV today

Our World: Uganda, My Mad World is broadcast on BBC World News on Saturday 21st February at 05:30 and 11:30 GMT, and on Sunday 22nd February at 17:30 and 22:30 GMT.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

Saw a bit of it, very interesting. But if you think services here are bad, wait until you see Uganda. It's all witch doctors and self support groups except for a very, very few psychiatric wards.

They have the same issues we do though with zombification caused by meds. Their solution: karaoke!

BillFish

BillFish

Saw a bit of it, very interesting. But if you think services here are bad, wait until you see Uganda. It's all witch doctors and self support groups except for a very, very few psychiatric wards.

They have the same issues we do though with zombification caused by meds. Their solution: karaoke!
Great summary and very accurate, their solution does seem to be karaoke :dance:

BillFish

BillFish

Only plays in the UK and I can't find it on YouTube
Don't know, maybe I can screen capture it and put it up somewhere. With our laws you can post copyrighted material as long as it is a parody (no joke), perhaps if I call it, crazy karaoke that will cover it :pI'll have a go.

BillFish

BillFish

Don't know, maybe I can screen capture it and put it up somewhere. With our laws you can post copyrighted material as long as it is a parody (no joke), perhaps if I call it, crazy karaoke that will cover it :pI'll have a go.
Just tried it, it's too much hassle, it's not recording sound, I'm sure there would be a proxy service online to enable you to watch any content from the UK, but I guess you're not that desperate to watch it:peace:

Observe

Observe

Just tried it, it's too much hassle, it's not recording sound, I'm sure there would be a proxy service online to enable you to watch any content from the UK, but I guess you're not that desperate to watch it:peace:

It's alright. Thanks. I read the article that someone posted last Nite.