• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Horrible health anxiety

R

RunnerBean

I’ve always had floaters, but I think im noticing them more as a result of feeling so anxious and then tying that into the possibility of something serious happening.

I was fine yesterday, I don’t really understand why all this has happened with such force again today.

How are you?

X

Xxsarahl88xc

Its because your thinking about it. Your thoughts are escalating the situation. I can be the same but mine are flashes. Try laying on the sofa get some relaxing music on youtube and just lay and listen with you eyes closed. Doesnt always work but ive started doing this when i do my stretches before getting out of bed in a morning haha x

I feel better today than i have been. Rang docs yesterday to c if results are in and was told they wasnt and could take up to 6 weeks arghhhh! X

R

RunnerBean

That sounds quite nice! I may give that a go.

Man, six weeks is a long time to have to wait. I hope they get back to you quicker than that, and that time passes. X

X

Xxsarahl88xc

Well if you ever need to chat just send me a message :) i may not help but i can chat alot of nonsense 😂😂😂 x

C

Claracluck

I completely empathise!
I’m struggling today...I’ve had a busy week, lots of time on the computer as I’m a community nurse but had piles of admin to do, which probably hasn’t helped!
I’ve had a cold all week, but a slight tingle/pain in my right temple..I noticed I could hear my pulse in my ear when I lie on right side or hold me ear whilst on the phone and now I’m fixated on it..headaches got worse, really painful temple, twitching right eye and will my mind is getting out of control and convinced somethings wrong, that’s been missed! Currently thinking pulsatile tinnitus..which indicates high blood pressure or gardening of the arteries...but I have to remember I had bloods 3weeks ago, all clear and Harding of the arteries would suggest high cholesterol....but you know how this anxiety works-my mind doesn’t think that’s a rationale explanation! Course not :(

X

Xxsarahl88xc

I completely empathise!
I’m struggling today...I’ve had a busy week, lots of time on the computer as I’m a community nurse but had piles of admin to do, which probably hasn’t helped!
I’ve had a cold all week, but a slight tingle/pain in my right temple..I noticed I could hear my pulse in my ear when I lie on right side or hold me ear whilst on the phone and now I’m fixated on it..headaches got worse, really painful temple, twitching right eye and will my mind is getting out of control and convinced somethings wrong, that’s been missed! Currently thinking pulsatile tinnitus..which indicates high blood pressure or gardening of the arteries...but I have to remember I had bloods 3weeks ago, all clear and Harding of the arteries would suggest high cholesterol....but you know how this anxiety works-my mind doesn’t think that’s a rationale explanation! Course not :(
Nope of course not. Our brains are an awsome tool but also our own worse enemy :(. Being a nurse must make it worse in one way as you know millions of things 'it could be' more than an average person. Could be an ear infection with you having a cold. I get the pulse in my ear too and the doc rekons it was an infection. (Part of my sinus issues) its not nice i empathise with you. Anxiety is a bitch. I wish it would just fade away :(

J

JohnDoe1

I’m really struggling today. Had a good day yesterday with minimal symptoms. Today the tingling in my right foot/left hand has returned with a vengeance, I think I’m feeling stiffness/weakness in my left arm but I’m still able to able to do everything I need to do, my back is stiff, I’m worried about my vision. Man, this is a struggle.
I've had similar symptoms for over a year after my anxiety started. Had the tests done, nothing came off it. Symptoms still continued. My biggest fear was a stroke. That first year was horrendous. The only time the paresthesia subsided into the background was when I was more worried about my heart - then the other way around for maybe a few days, a week. In that first year I didn't have a single acceptable day inbetween.
Now, I don't have any of the “stroke“ symptoms anymore (they've been replaced by others unfortunately).

X

Xxsarahl88xc

Its really strange isnt it. When i get pains in my chest ive got a thing about taking my heart rate. Damn stupid smart phones. Sometimes settles me straight down though but if its too low sets me off even more :(. Have you found anything to help you? Any meds from docs? X

R

RunnerBean

Thank you for the replies guys. Sorry to hear that you’re still having moments of struggle. It can be a real challenge, but hopefully we’ll make it through to the other side.

R

RunnerBean

Its really strange isnt it. When i get pains in my chest ive got a thing about taking my heart rate. Damn stupid smart phones. Sometimes settles me straight down though but if its too low sets me off even more :(. Have you found anything to help you? Any meds from docs? X

I find that the only thing that honestly helps me is my running, which I’m still forcing myself to get out the door and do. For a few hours afterwards the good chemicals seem to help me think straighter, more rationally, and interestingly, seem to minimise these physical sensations. I hope that that is evidence that I’m suffering from anxiety, but I am terrified that I have something far worse.

R

RunnerBean

Just as a wee update, I got some blood tests back from the doctor recently which showed slightly low phosphate and borderline deficient Vitamin D. Having done a little bit of research, Vit D contributes to general wellbeing and a lack of it can cause all kinds of symptoms, possibly including tingling. I've started on some high strength supplements for a few months and I hope to feel better as a result of taking these.

I'm still feeling anxious about the symptoms I'm experiencing, and am still hoping to be referred to neurology for a full investigation, but these results have given me a little glimmer of hope that things may not be as bad as I have been fearing.

Love to all.

X

Xxsarahl88xc

Just as a wee update, I got some blood tests back from the doctor recently which showed slightly low phosphate and borderline deficient Vitamin D. Having done a little bit of research, Vit D contributes to general wellbeing and a lack of it can cause all kinds of symptoms, possibly including tingling. I've started on some high strength supplements for a few months and I hope to feel better as a result of taking these.

I'm still feeling anxious about the symptoms I'm experiencing, and am still hoping to be referred to neurology for a full investigation, but these results have given me a little glimmer of hope that things may not be as bad as I have been fearing.

Love to all.
Good luck and i hope ur supplements kick in sharpish and you see a big difference x

P

PaleRider13

Hi,

I know exactly what you're going through. I have epilepsy and a family history of hypothyroidism, and my health anxiety pressures my thoughts into those unhealthy ways all the time. It's hard to even find a break from the mental exhaustion (and I'm only in my 20s!)

I present with symptoms for hypothyroidism when my life gets really stressful (recent loss of close family member) and every time I do I think "This is it" or "it gets worse every time". It's completely destroyed my work-life balance and now I'm just a part-timer who still has trouble finding appointments (UK based, the NHS is in a lot trouble). As soon as I go see a doctor about one thing, my mind starts focusing on another. If it's not my heart I'm worried about, it's the epilepsy. If it's not that it's the hypothyroidism. It just never ends!

The trick is to always stay on top of it, and never let your thoughts run rampant, especially when you're alone. It's hard having health anxiety as I'm sure you're well aware. But it seems that it never truly goes away. I don't really have any other advice, I've been reading up on the topic for two years and I'm still suffering. But if I find anything that works, I'll let you know!

All the best,
Pale

N

Nate

Hi all,

I'm not really looking for answers, but just some guidance and advice from people who have been, or are currently in, a similar situation. I'm hoping that by writing this down I'll manage to get some of the stress off my shoulders.

I have a history of depression and anxiety. About 18 years ago (I'm 40 now) it reached a peak when two terrible things happened in quick succession in my life, and looking back I believe that is what set my mind in this way. In the years following these life events I suffered relapse and recovery, relapse and recovery of bouts of depression and anxiety, often caused by fears about my health.

When I was in my mid 20s I absolutely convinced myself I was HIV positive, presenting with all the possible symptoms. All tests came back negative (thankfully). I went through this process on maybe 4 or 5 occasions.

A few years ago I felt a little unwell, felt an ectopic beat or two in my chest, panicked that it might be the start of a heart attack, felt clammy, sweaty, felt pain down my left arm, everything. I went to the hospital, had an ECG and bloods, and was told that there was nothing wrong. I felt pretty fatigued from that episode and rested for quite a few days afterwards.

Now again it has resurfaced, but in a way that feels as vicious as those experiences of my 20s. A few weeks ago I was at work and I started to feel a little dizzy, and felt a few ectopic beats again. I thought I was maybe just coming down with a virus. Now looking back, I can't remember the process in which these things occurred: did I get anxious that something bad was going to happen and the symptoms began, or was it the other way around? Anyway, I started to worry I was having a small stroke and then I felt the left side of my face go tingly, as well as my left hand. I was able to rationalise to some extent as I am a healthcare professional and wasn't showing any of the emergency symptoms, but it was still a concern to me. I booked an appointment with a doctor who was absolutely great, she listened to my concerns, focused on my major fear, and left the door open for me to go back to her if needs be. Anyway, during a discussion of my symtoms she said that another possible reason for them could be multiple sclerosis, but that my presentation was not typical and that she thought it was probably just anxiety (I had informed her of my history and my openness to accepting this was a possibility). But, lo and behold, what has happened since then but me convincing myself that I now have MS.

I have been googling MS symptoms and information pretty much incessantly the last few days, even though I 100% know that this is a horribly counter-productive thing to do. My anxiety levels are through the roof and I have developed further symptoms of tingling in my right foot, hand, and face. I am incredibly stressed. My wife has been fantastic, and has encouraged me to go back to the doctor because we both recognise that I can't live with this level of anxiety. I have another appointment in a few weeks time. I am aware that tingling sensations are one of the most common physical manifestations of anxiety, but I'm struggling to convince myself that it is just anxiety because what if it's not? I've been doing a bit of mindfulness of late, which I have found to be some help, but as my anxiety levels increase I'm finding it more and more difficult to "be in the moment" and can't help but focus on these physical sensations which, of course, makes them worse.

What's really frustrating is that for a long time I thought I was over this and now, it's suddenly come back, out of nowhere, with a real vengeance and it's really affecting my life.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Does anyone have any advice on how they dealt with this?

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read this.
Have you ever heard of somatic delusions? The belief that you have a cronic condition, illness or something life threatening, when the medical tests are normal. Not saying your delusional but you may want to talk to your pych doc.

Y

Yainen

Anxiety has been my "best" friend since I was 14. I tried a lot of things to fight it, but sometimes it comes back with no obvious reason. A few months ago, I was diagnosed with insomnia because of this, and I thought that it's the end of my journey with the name "life." I gave up because I had no power to leave my bed and see someone. My doctor recommended me to try weighted blanket therapy, and this article about its' benefits. I was skeptical because if pills cant help me, so what can do a blanket. Yesterday I slept for 8 hours without waking up because of a panic attack or something else. Now I feel that later I'll be okay and "cured" from the anxiety.

Last edited by a moderator: