• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Horrible a and e visit

S

Stormgirly

I went to a and e last night as I had self harmed enough to need steri strips. When I self harm it is as a further form of punishment. I went into hospital in a very distressed state and was placed in a cubicle where I started pacing. Due to my distressed state I didn't realise that I had marked the walls. A very angry looking nurse came in and threw a mop and bucket towards me and told me to get cleaning. Even though in my distressed state I started mopping a cleaning but I was making more of a mess as I was just spreading all the dirt. After a few minutes my mop bucket was just full of dirty water so I asked for clean water and was told no and to continue cleaning with what I had !! I have never in my life had such an awful experience at a and e, never ever again will I go back there.

Last edited by a moderator:
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.
I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience.. I am incredibly shocked at the way you were treated.:hug1:
You would be quite within your right to make a complaint.
Am not sure if you have a PALS service where you live? I mean you will do, though it might be called something different depending on your area.
I really think that you should write and make a complaint about this incident. This is really out of order and whilst it should never have happened in the first place, it might prevent someone else being treated like this.

How are you feeling now? Are you still feeling at risk?

(P.S. Just want to say that we have a strict rule about not allowing self-harm specifics on the forum, and so a moderator will probably edit your post to remove specifics. Obviously you're new and so wouldn't know that rule, but just wanted to mention it in case you see your post edited and wonder what happened).

S

Stormgirly

Thankyou for your reply, yes I'm safe now and out of crisis thankfully, just in a shock I think

D

Dottyone

Thankyou for your reply, yes I'm safe now and out of crisis thankfully, just in a shock I think
Glad your safe now, thats what matters :hug:

I would file a complaint, no nurse should speak to you like that no matter what, not to mention the risks involved with infection from using a Mop and Bucket around your Self Harm injuries.

I know Nurses are pushed to breaking point with their work load but this is unaceptable behavour.

Best of luck stay safe chicken....xx

W

White Dragon

I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm sorry about the way you were treated. It's unacceptable. :(

Parissa

Parissa

That is disgusting treatment and you shouldhave refused or better still left there and then. Please don't go there again. It just makes you feel worse. I hope you are going to treat your wounds yourself from now on or see your GP nurse the following day. I've been there and have the emotional scars to prove it. Better to keep away from them.

Rest today ok
Love Parissa

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i dont think it is good advice to say never go there again as if it is serious enough you might need to if it is severe.

Parissa

Parissa

You can buy steri strips from boots I'm sure.

Parissa

Parissa

At least the staff are kind in boots.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I went to a and e last night as I had self harmed enough to need steri strips. When I self harm it is as a further form of punishment. I went into hospital in a very distressed state and was placed in a cubicle where I started pacing. Due to my distressed state I didn't realise that I had marked the walls. A very angry looking nurse came in and threw a mop and bucket towards me and told me to get cleaning. Even though in my distressed state I started mopping a cleaning but I was making more of a mess as I was just spreading all the dirt. After a few minutes my mop bucket was just full of dirty water so I asked for clean water and was told no and to continue cleaning with what I had !! I have never in my life had such an awful experience at a and e, never ever again will I go back there.
I'm glad that you are feeling somewhat better and out of crisis.

I was horrified when I read your post. To be treated in that manner and in a hospital of all places! What's wrong with some people?! I hope you have spoken to someone about it or reported the incident. Things like this should not be happening and I'm sorry that you had to experience it.

D

Dottyone

I would not let the individual Nurse put anyone off going to A & E, their is always the odd person in any job.

I think 90% of the Nurses ive been under have been very professional.

I wish I could give the same percentage for the proffesionalism of Crisis Team.:sorry:

Gajolene

Gajolene

That is horrible treatment, you should make a formal complaint for sure, and make sure and get that nurses name and use it in the complaint. Just rediculous, one of the reasons whenever one of my family has to go to ER over mental health issues I always take someone with me or go with as a witness and an advocate to make sure the professionals are acting professional.

Q

Quickduck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am so sorry for the way you were treated Stormgirly; there is no excuse for that kind of behaviour; you went there for help and that nurse was not only totally unprofessional but also cruel to you. :hug:
I would definitely look to reporting the incident to avoid it happening to you or anyone else again; but like Helena1 says, please don’t be put off returning if your injuries are serious enough to require medical attention, there’s only so much you can do at home. Glad you’re feeling better. :hug: