• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hoping this is where I can start

Believe-59

Believe-59

If this is in the wrong place please move to where it would belong. Thank you.

I guess I should start at the beginning. In January the 1st to be exact my fiance had a stroke after going to the ER twice for breathing problems. He was admitted and told he was having an anxiety attack. Well it turned out to be a stroke and pneumonia. While there he was diagnosed with Diabetes, anxiety disorder, depression, had a bad heart valve that needs to be replaced hypertension with high blood pressure and his kidneys were failing. He was put on all kinds of meds including those for depression. He stayed for 16 days. While home the anxiety kicked in even more and he had other health issues which sent us back for an over night stay and a 3 stay. He was assigned to a therapist that prescribed anxiety meds and ativan for break thru attacks. The meds work for the most part but during one bad attack we went back to the ER where he had a TIA. Things have calmed down but we now know he needs open heart surgery to replace the valve and may lose kidney function which will make him dialysis dependent. He still has break thru anxiety attacks and I deal with them the best I can so they don't turn into full fledge depression. We're right now looking for ways to get thru these break thru's. I'm not sure how much better or worse they will get as we wait for the doctors to decide when he needs the surgery. He goes to a group which helps and sees a woman in between meetings.

anyway I go on and on which is my way sorry.

Looking for ideas on how to slow the attacks or stop them before they get to bad because they always seem to lead to other problems physically.

Thanks Karen

B

Broken Spirit

Hi

I too started on the carer`s forum & yet i found so much help & advice from sufferers themselves. I`m a relative & carer for someone who suffers terrible anxiety attacks as a result of post traumatic stress disorder & it can be very distressing to watch, especially when you feel so powerless to help. Initially i used to become quite stressed myself but now i just try & stay as calm as possible & be as reassuring as i can. The worst thing was watching someone who use to be so capable & confident being so scared, it really was & is heartbreaking. Two years down the line however things are a lot easier to cope with for both her & me, i think a lot of it is down to a better understanding of mental health issues & acceptance of her condition. Usually there are tell tale signs when these anxiety attacks are about to start again & i try & be around her a lot more, be more supportive without coming across as patronising. I try & relieve the tension i can sense building up, i don`t always get it right but i am getting better at it. I do hope things improve for your loved one, hopefully once the surgery is done things will get better for him, although i`m sure the anxiety will be present in the lead up to his surgery . I wish you both the best of luck. Incidently my daughter had spinal surgery & she coped marvellously which i wasn`t expecting & the nursing staff were very reassuring with her & took her anxiety into consideration when dealing with her.

Believe-59

Believe-59

Thanks so far he is handling the impending surgery ok they haven't set a date yet we go back on the 18th. The anxiety won't go away that's a longer problem and the big thing is trying to keep it from going into full blown depression. i went there once with him and the doctors had him so sedated that it wasn't any better. I have a big mouth when it comes to his doctors and want to know everything seems sometimes they don't as they don't have to live with us. I'm glad your daughter got thru alright I'm sure it was tough. Even the simplest of surgeries are scarey. I am always here for him and do the best I can. He was also there for me when I had surgery and he held up really well with it.

Thank you I know I am going to like it here.

Good luck I have more patients than I need and more than happy to share some.

Karen

M

maudikie

Have you thought of asking for a second opinion. You might get some speedier action if the present docs are n ot taking enough notice.:)

Believe-59

Believe-59

It's hard to get a second opinion for him he has no insurance and goes to the VA hospital for his treatment. I did find that if you make enough noise they seem to pay more attention. We are trying to pin them down he has an appointment on the 18th. I am hoping once they do set a date he won't get more panic and anxiety attacks, don't want it to end up emergency surgery. Today he went to his group meeting and that will get him through till his private meeting I hope. I panic when he runs to low on his meds they seem to work pretty well I know there not for everyone. Tomorrow night we are going to try a reiki healing. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks if nothing happens at the next appointment I'll start making noise again and maybe they will give him another doctor just to make me go away.:whistle:

D

Dollit

Have you tried Mindfulness? You wouldn't need to go the whole 45 minute guided meditation - you can get daily podcasts from iTunes and they last 10 minutes or so. I find that even though it's not a relaxation technique it helps to slow me down and it's a technique you can switch on and off wherever you are. Works for me very well.

Believe-59

Believe-59

I never dealt with itunes that's always been my kids thing with their ipods and all. Is there a link you could give me? Dan is willing to give anything a try. He listens to relaxing cd's to sleep they seem to help a lot. He ripped them all to his computer so they can keep going without stopping. The more he adds the longer they play and no have to change cd's when they stop.

D

Dollit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc

I haven't listened to this but the guy who's presenting John Zabat Zinn is the one who has adapted mindfulness for the modern world. He says that "the present is the only time any of us have to be alive" which sounds simple until you think about it.

If this is too long then let me know and I'll try to find you something else.

Believe-59

Believe-59

Thank you so much.

I doubt it's to long I sent it to Dan's (my other half) computer and his email. lol all the way on the other side of the room. Last night we were on the phone for over an hour with a woman that does Reiki healing. It was interesting. She did it more for the surgery that should be scheduled in the next few months not so much for the depression and anxiety.