• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hope this helps someone

N

Nordictrack

I've had 3 bouts of depression and anxiety, 1 at 18 one at 25 and one at 36. The first 2 times I was prescribed fluoxetine, I got worse for about 2 weeks, then after around 6 weeks started to feel back to myself.
The 3rd time I was prescribed fluoxetine, this time it didnt work.
It took about a year to find medication that worked, and a long time after that to feel any kind of normality.
During this period my brain wouldnt stop racing, my thoughts didnt feel like my own and I was terrified of every thought I had however normal. I cried daily and it's no exageration to say every second of every day was a battle. It's hard to describe but I really felt this wasnt just depression and anxiety, but that I had gone mad. I would be sectioned, lose my wife, children and job as well as sanity.
During this, every day at work I would trawl forums looking for a glimmer of hope, how long until i feel better? Are these thoughts and feelings normal for depression and anxiety sufferers. Which tablets should i take. What are the side effects. Etc etc etc.
I never was really able to find anything that would give me comfort or a light at the end of the tunnel.
Now, after a long extremely hard journey, I'm sat here typing this. I feel myself, no daily crying, no being scared of my own thoughts. I take tablets daily (venaflaxine - which finally worked for me) but now I am 100% back to 'normal'.
I hope my (very annotated) story provides some ray of hope for somebody somewhere outthere.

I've had a poster on my garage wall with a picture of Christopher reeve as superman for years with a quote that says never give up, dont lose hope and dont sell out, which I think about a lot, I even get the dont sell out part now!

You can get through this, be strong, keep going, seek help, talk to family, friends and your employer and never ever, ever give up.

jajingna

jajingna

Welcome to the forum. Glad you got it sorted, it can be a tough battle for sure.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I've had 3 bouts of depression and anxiety, 1 at 18 one at 25 and one at 36. The first 2 times I was prescribed fluoxetine, I got worse for about 2 weeks, then after around 6 weeks started to feel back to myself.
It took about a year to find medication that worked, and a long time after that to feel any kind of normality.
During this period my brain wouldnt stop racing, my thoughts didnt feel like my own and I was terrified of every thought I had however normal. I cried daily and it's no exageration to say every second of every day was a battle. It's hard to describe but I really felt this wasnt just depression and anxiety, but that I had gone mad. I would be sectioned, lose my wife, children and job as well as sanity.
During this, every day at work I would trawl forums looking for a glimmer of hope, how long until i feel better? Are these thoughts and feelings normal for depression and anxiety sufferers. Which tablets should i take. What are the side effects. Etc etc etc.
I never was really able to find anything that would give me comfort or a light at the end of the tunnel.
Now, after a long extremely hard journey, I'm sat here typing this. I feel myself, no daily crying, no being scared of my own thoughts. I take tablets daily (venaflaxine - which finally worked for me) but now I am 100% back to 'normal'.
I hope my (very annotated) story provides some ray of hope for somebody somewhere outthere.

I've had a poster on my garage wall with a picture of Christopher reeve as superman for years with a quote that says never give up, dont lose hope and dont sell out, which I think about a lot, I even get the dont sell out part now!

You can get through this, be strong, keep going, seek help, talk to family, friends and your employer and never ever, ever give up.
"You can get through this, be strong, keep going, seek help, talk to family, friends and your employer and never ever, ever give up."

Very good advice. Did you see a therapist on your journey, or did you fix yourself all by yourself? I'm glad you've finally returned to normality.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Glad to read your success story, it offers hope to many in this forum.

Does the venaflaxine work well on anxiety as well as depression? I take 75 mg of Sertraline (and SSRI medication) daily and it does a good job on depression, not so well on anxiety. I'm looking for something to address that.

N

Nordictrack

Hi, yes I saw a therapist for about 6 months, no big breakthroughs, I enjoyed the sessions and felt a bit better after each session.

I started crossfit, which really helped, there were many times driving to the box (crossfit gym) where i wanted to turn around and go home or pullover and cry but I never did, and the sessions were great for being in the moment, it's hard to for your thoughts to run away with you when you are gasping for breathe and just trying to get through the next rep. And I always felt better about myself afterwards, not just because of the exercise, but because i made myself go. Crossfit wasnt a cure but along with therapy, tablets, support of friends and family it really helped.

I tried sertraline (and others) before venaflaxine but didnt get on well with it, it didnt help my symptoms, made me want to sleep and eat all the time and I put on 2 stone (28lbs). Venaflaxine has really helped with both depression and anxiety- but this is just my experience and everybody is different.
Regarding my user name, I entered a few which were taken, then an advert came on tv for nordictrack so I just used that!